Thread: Testarossa/512TR/512M mirror update

Testarossa/512TR/512M mirror update

Just to update everyone, i got the mirrors back from "Gmoney"/"PitBull" Gerard about a month ago and haven't had much time to mess with them but I figured I'd at least put some photos up.

They came back in the same gelcoat I saw in August when i went to visit him, which I can't use since he didn't apply it correctly. The gelcoat was sprayed on and left to harden on a wooden surface so it stuck to the wood and a big chunk on each mirror was ripped off when the mirrors were picked up. Since august I guess he didn't bother touching the mirrors (not that he was supposed to).

Anyway I was just happy to get them back after that whole mess. The white is the gelcoat as it came back, the black is primer paint I applied 8 months ago prior to getting to the finishing stage with the mirrors.

These were molded off the real mirrors and it was great to see the original ones on my dad's friend's 512M. They are indeed breakaway and the base is rubber (hides the hinge) and is thus black. Most replicas forget this.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Re: Testarossa/512TR/512M mirror update

The big air bubbles made the gelcoat useless since the huge ripples (1/4 inch high in many spots) would transfer right onto molds/parts. Oddly enough the PVA was still liquid after 7 months under the gelcoat.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Since the gelcoat was sprayed on, it clumped up and made nasty air bubbles everywhere. I doubt the clumps would matter since they would be literally inside the molds but the air bubbles would.

One mirror stripped and ready to re-primer and fill pinholes and other imperfections, then sand down again. Other mirror needs to be repaird at the base too.

the joys of working with fiberglass :-\