Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone ordered cars off of eBay?

anyone ordered cars off of eBay?

Has anyone bought a car off of eBay?
    i just have a feeling someone will take your money and run...

thanks
    -jordan

Re: anyone ordered cars off of eBay?

personally I would never...a car is something that has the be checked over by the buyer
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

that's what i was thinking....

I have bought 3 cars on eBay in the past 3 years. A 308replica from Indiana, F40 replica from New York and the last one is a 911 Porsche Slant Nose. Believe me, every time I was sending my money I was concerned if there is actually a car. I guess so I have been lucky I guess. The other thing you really have to worry about also is the condition if the vehicle. You really dont know how honest the seller is. In that regards, I also have been pretty lucky with the issues of the cars. Just be very careful and dont expect for the car too be perfect when it arrives. What I mean by that is that you and the seller has deffirent opinions on the state of the vehicle. Keep that in mind. You are the buyer so your standards are a lot higher than the sellers. He might rate the car 8 out of 10 but to you it is a 6. Do you see where I am going with this. A small hairline crack on the fiberglass is no big deal to the seller and might even forget to mention it but to it is a very big deal and be upset when it arrives. Just keep that in mind, it is never going to be as good as the seller thinks it is.

Every replica I have bought was on E-Bay with the exception of the F40. I never expect much and in a few cases the cars were also listed here or on Pennock's forums. I have been fairly lucky and most cars were as advertised. With most of my purchases I have installed my favorite drivetrain and Mr Mikes interiors as well as new digital dashes. With Fiero based replicas you have to figure you are starting out with a 20 year old chassis and in most instances a 20 year old drivetrain. Take care. Bill

never, all scams or they give you the worst replicas. when you get it you will be soooooooo upset. ive seen this happen 99.9% of the time. save the hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I have bought 3 cars on eBay in the past 3 years.* A 308replica from Indiana,* F40 replica from New York and the last one is a 911 Porsche Slant Nose.* Believe me,* every time I was sending my money I was concerned if there is actually a car.* I guess so I have been lucky I guess.* The other thing you really have to worry about also is the condition if the vehicle.* You really dont know how honest the seller is.* In that regards, I also have been pretty lucky with the issues of the cars.* Just be very careful and dont expect for the car too be perfect when it arrives.* What I mean by that is that you and the seller has deffirent opinions on the state of the vehicle.* Keep that in mind.* You are the buyer so your standards are a lot higher than the sellers.* He might rate the car 8 out of 10 but to you it is a 6.* Do you see where I am going with this.* A small hairline crack on the fiberglass is no big deal to the seller and might even forget to mention it but to it is a very big deal and be upset when it arrives.* Just keep that in mind,* it is never going to be as good as the seller thinks it is.

Okay everyone stick um up !! * If I may hijack the thread for a second..

Rio:* Do you have any pics of your 911? I'm a Porsche guy too and happen to have a slant nose. I'd love to see it..

EEExotic@networld.com
    Thanks..
    David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

i have bought about 10 cars on ebay, 9 classic cars, replica, and so far i havedone good, but i have always asked a lot of questions and ask for a lot of pict, and called the sellers before i bid, and the most inportant thing is to : read the sellers feedback or reviews from other people that bought things from him before. good luck mario

I have never bid on a car on Ebay but have sold a few in the past on ebay. and can say with out a doubt that the biggest thing between the buyer and the seller is communication! Discuss every detail with the seller or buyer before bidding on the car.
    No matter how well written the description is of the car question everything this may seem reptiteve but believe me in the end this will only serve you in the end knowing exactly what you are getting into before bidding.
    Kevin

Mario and Kevin are absolutely right!

There's no reason not to buy a used car (or parts) on eBay....I have done it also with great success (both buying and selling) and you know what I saved a TON OF MONEY in the process...

....BUT, you have to be an alert and do your homework before sending any money...Most sellers ask for a small deposit (usually less than $500) upon the sale. Beware of people who ask for large deposits up front and make excuses when asked for inspection of their car in person....That's a good indication that the car is no good or at least not as described in the auction....NEVER SEND MONEY ORDERS for deposit....Used PayPal to protect yourself again fraud and ALWAYS CHECK the seller/buyer's feedback record. ....I do not allow anyone with sunglasses or zero feedback record to bid on the cars I sell nor do I buy from people with zero feedback...That's just common sense.

As an extra precaution, I never buy cars that are more than within 5-6 hours drive from my home....In other words I will never buy a car located in CA (I'm in NY) unless I had someone else check it out first.. The reason being that I want to be able to drive and inspect the car in person , check the title and documents before payment is made in full....However, I did purchased an 88 Fiero GT in GA recently as a parts car but I have not been able to pick it up due to harsh winter in NY, so I will sell it on eBay to get back my money 'cause I lost interest already and have other projects.

In summary, use caution and your brain when making larger purchases on eBay....NEVER send money orders...Always communicate and call the seller to discuss the car he's selling and get his address....Inspect the car in person (if you can) BEFORE payment is made. BTW, don't hesitate to email a seller and make an offer if the reserve is not met...You be suprised how many people prefer to sell a car for less than asking price than to relist it.

Good luck

Vasilis K.
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!