Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Make a mould?

How to Make a mould?

I'm hopefully getting the Gallardo in 3 weeks, and I'll take the chance with the moulds off it. I'll have it for 4 days. I need to take moulds, in another thread many have suggested on how to do it, but I need to know that once taken a mould off, how to I make a STRONG mould of it where I can pull at least 20 to 30 kits?

Re: How to Make a mould?

phew! I think it was Drew355 who posted a VERY LONG and DETAILED description on how to pull a mould, but I can't find it anymore!! Anyone remembers where its at? ???

http://69.94.88.210/index.php?topic=6176.30

But I gotta warn you. You had better have cash in had or insurance to cover the Gallardo because this "ain't" gonna happen in 4 days, unless you have a ton of help and a ton of supplies. You had better be sure of this before you start.
    What are your plans about the the glass, glass trim, the doorseals, all the little nooks and crannies?

Since you are going to own this car in the end, why not just buy it?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by illuder
    phew! I think it was Drew355 who posted a VERY LONG and DETAILED description on how to pull a mould, but I can't find it anymore!! Anyone remembers where its at? ???

ciliconme mold so you dont tuch the paint
    automotiveconcepts2002@yahoo.com

Silicone molds still touch the paint and will cause damage if not released properly. Plus it is way too spendy to use, and still has to be supported with fiberglass, or some other hard shell. I would suggest using urethane rubber or silicone for smaller pieces that have tons of small details, but not the whole car. There is no perfect molding proceedure for a 4 day molding period.

I would suggest using plaster... Ultracal 30 to be exact. Dip fiberglass cloth pieces in the plaster and lay it on in layers. If you lay it on too thick it will get VERY hot, and very heavy, so it must be done carefully. I can go into the proceedure in more depth in you want. When the plaster molds are done, cast fiberglass pieces in them and use those fiberglass parts to get a perfect surface and fit to the car chassis of choice. The plaster molds will only be used once, so if you have to break them off to get the parts out... no problem. When all the body work is done and perfect, THEN, do your final molds and take your time. The last thing you want to do is make a kit body that is as 'good' as an IFG kit.

I can't say this is the best way, or the safest way, but it is what I have done on rubber, fiberglass and metal car parts before, and it worked for me. If I was in your situation, this is MY personal method of choice. It may not be anyone elses.

Wraith....

Can you please outline in more detail your plaster method??? It sounds interesting on how to mold small and detailed parts....I'm interested in learning how it's done...If you have photos decribing the process that would be fantastic as well.

Also outline the supplies needed for this process, where do you get the supplies and the brand name you are using....

Thanks

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

i'll have 4 friends helping me + me its 5,

i'm not even thinking about the rubbers, glass and all that, i just want to take the sahpe of the car, then pass it onto one of the more experienced builders here or whomever is interested, and they can continue on it...I'm not familiar with building from panels...i leave that to the pros rather than an enthusiast like me handling it....luckily I have access to the gallardo..

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99
    Wraith....

Can you please outline in more detail your plaster method???* It sounds interesting on how to mold small and detailed parts....I'm interested in learning how it's done...If you have photos decribing the process that would be fantastic as well.

Also outline the supplies needed for this process, where do you get the supplies and the brand name you are using....

Thanks

VK
    Small and detailed parts? If you can give me an example, I'll try to find something close to that and do one so I can take pictures to show. I don't have any now. I'd be happy to make a detailed description of the process and supplies.

Ken

Ken
    Small and detailed parts is ANYTHING that is small (less than 5") and has intricate details ... Take your pick....the Cavallino horse, the interior F355 center console parts, the "FERRARI" script, etc....you get the picture?

When you get the time please describe the process in detail.....

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

The best approach for something like that is rubber and not plaster. You really want to stay away from really detailed stuff with plaster, because it has too much of a tendancy to break off. Rubber is the best for those. There are tons of different kinds of rubber to use. The cheapest way to replicate a ferrari emblem or the horse is to go to the hardware store and buy a tube of DAP Silicone Sealant. It's in with the chalking stuff. You can use a soft brush to brush on some vaseline on the emblem. Soft brushes help keep brush strokes from staying on the part. Squirt out enough silicone to cover the entire piece in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rubber. Mix some drops of acrylic paint (craft store) into the silicone and stir. Mix about 2 drops of paint to one complete squirt of silicone. The paint makes the silicone cure completely, instead of just curing on the surface. (I'd test your amounts first by mixing the silicone and paint, and leaving some that is at least 1/2 inch thick to cure. If it cures fully, the mixture is good... if not, add more paint and try again) Use another soft brush to spread the silicone over the part, getting in all the details. Use some store bought plaster of paris and pour it over the silicone when it is cured. This keeps the shape of the rubber so it doesn't flex and distort your castings. When everything is cured, just remove the plaster shell, (make it at least 1/2 inch thick) and then peel the rubber from the emblem.

The technique can chage for each part as their shapes are different. If you have any specific piece that you think may cause issues, please feel free to email me with a sketch/photo of the part and I can make sure you have a technique that will work for that part.

Another way is to purchase pourable rubber. Build a wooden wall around the piece and just pour in the rubber to make the mold. Very easy to do, but the rubber usually has to be ordered online and it's more expensive than the stuff at the hardware store. If you are interested in that method, let me know and I'll give you some links to good suppliers.

If any of that is unclear, feel free to let me know. I'd still be happy to explain the Plaster molding if you want, but it's best to use for non detailed items.

Good luck,

Ken