Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is black not advised for glassfiber?

why is black not advised for glassfiber?

why is black not advised for glassfiber?, i wolud love a black car but iv'e been told to stay away from black? why?

Re: why is black not advised for glassfiber?

Did your body guy tell you this?? I've seen many very nice vehicles in black that were fiberglass. its more time consuming because it needs to be blocked and guide coated more times but its worth it it you want black..
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Whoever said that is probably meaning black is the color that shows the most imperfections.* If what you are going to paint has some slight warping, or if the bodywork wasn't done right, it will show MORE on a black car, but it will still show on any glossy color... it just won't be AS noticable.* If a bodyman/painter told you this... I'd suggest getting your car done somewhere else because the people that say this are usually the people that can't or won't put the effort into getting the paintjob looking flawless.

They could be talking about the fact that black panels get hotter in direct sunlight. I don't think that really is that big of a deal though.

black IS a bad colour on fibre glass. I've fitted my wifes BMW with a black Hamman Fibre kit, and it shows the waves more.

Quote Originally Posted by illuder
    black IS a bad colour on fibre glass. I've fitted my wifes BMW with a black Hamman Fibre kit, and it shows the waves more.

Installing a prepainted body kit and block sanding until actually ready for paint are two different things.. Even companies as good as Hamman cannot produce "perfect" parts that can just be put on.. I know but the car is new and the parts are new.. every car is just a bit different. Taking time to precut and then attach and then do finally body work before color goes on is the correct way to have a perfect finish.. Body guys often use this line where they should just say they don't want to take the extra time or they do not know what good work is.. If you guys only knew how many factory cars have fiberglass parts you wouldn't beleive it. Look at a Vette or Viper or even lots of hotrods.. you can tell how wavy body panels are in any color if you have a good eye. but the vehicles that look absulutely perfect glass or steel or even carbon.. all the same, they have been block sanded until perfect. Bottom line the body man is not willing to go the extra mile and produce anything nice.

Quote Originally Posted by illuder
    No offense man, but all that proves is the Fiberglass kit was not as good as it should be. Black didn't cause the waves. Most of those fiberglass kits are made very thin and pulled out of the mold too fast, so it has waves before any paint was put on it.

I own a custom paint and body shop, Black is a awsome color, But The reason most avoid painting something black is the lack of skill, or the lack of funds. Anything can be painted black and made to look good with the right prep. There are always time, and money constraints on most builds, I add $1000.00 to any paint job if its black, due to the extra time involved.* This being said that if the kit or panels are poorly produced, and have extensive waves or warping, Then The parts producer is at fault not the color black. If you do have a car that has waves or ripples you want to use the highest reflective color ( such as white, yellow, silver) and this hides more imperfections then the dark colors.
    My 2 cents...
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman
    I own a custom paint and body shop, Black is a awsome color, But The reason most avoid painting something black is the lack of skill, or the lack of funds. Anything can be painted black and made to look good with the right prep there are always time, and money constraints on most builds, I add $1000.00 to any paint job if its black, due to the extra time involved.* This being said that if the kit or panels are poorly produced, and have extensive waves or warping, Then The parts producer is at fault not the color black. If you do have a car that has waves or ripples you want to use the highest reflective color ( such as white, yellow, silver) and this hides more imperfections then the dark colors.
    My 2 cents...
    Michael

Thanks for chiming in Michael.. Right from a pro's mouth there you have it ;D Everyone has their definition of it looks nice but when it comes down to "good quality work" its never cheap. Not many bodymen are willing to go the extra mile when they can do cheap shotty work for the insurance companies. Nice to here from the ones that care

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

painting black requires block sanding every panel to make sure that it is wave free an checking to make sure body line are straight an lined up it is very time consuming an some painters try to get out of doing the extra work ,GO AN LOOK AT BONDO BOB ,s work on funnywheels 3 an you will see how he worked each panel one at a time until it was ready for paint guide coating each part to find low spots ,this is the ONLY WAY for black other colors are a little more forgiving an you could hide a few things ;D 8)
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

I perfer painting black, I would rather paint a car black than red. I'm confused if you prep a car right it should not make a difference what color you paint it. I agree if a painter trys to talk you out of painting your car the color you want it leave and don't look back he or she is telling you he or she will just do what it takes to get paint on it and will not do a good job. I never charged more to paint a car black and if a painter trys to charge you more to paint it black I would not use him or her eather they are looking for a reason to stick it to you. Labor should always be the same but price will depend on the product or color you use as the cost of paint is the big difference and black paint is the cheaper.