Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallardo Replica Worklog...

Escalade182

Gallardo Replica Worklog...

yeah. ill be starting this week but I'm having trouble finding a scale model to work off of... :-\

to get things started, could someone tell me the width of the deck lid? that would give me 100+ more proportions to work off of until I run into a model at hobby town or something.

Escalade182

Re: Gallardo Replica Worklog...

ill be making a plug. much like whoever it was that made the murcielago with the white tiburon in the background...

except ill be using 2x4's, 1/4" plywood and body filler. then cover it in 4+ layers of FB...

demensions will be exact so if your interested in the plug after I'm done... you better start hackin' up your chassis :P

I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down, but I've pretty familiar with using scale models for making full size builds and the outcome may be very close, but very rarely exact. I'm only saying this so you don't get a bunch of other people criticizing you for saying it WILL be "exact". Scale models are very rarely exact themselves, but great ways to get plans to start a build and use exact dimensions and measurements to refine the plans so they are much closer to exact. I definitely wouldn't use anything smaller than 1/18th scale... larger is better, but also harder to find and more spendy. What scale are you hoping to use?

I'm excited to see your progress and I hope you keep us informed. It sounds like you are very familiar with wood working, so you don't need advice, but feel free to ask if you have any questions. Scratch build diaries are awesome and I wish you the best of luck. Take it easy and did you finalize the donor vehicle choice? Let me know. I believe you will have one great looking piece in the end that will be a nice addition to the replica communitee.

Ken
    Wraith Innovations

Escalade182

yeah, I understand it wont be EXACT but it will be pretty damn close. off by 1.5" at the most in certain areas (I hope!) but mistakes will be for the better.

I'm gonna stop by 'hobby town usa' today and check out their closest scale car. hopefully around 1/8"-1/10" scale

thanks for the support.

-rob

A 3d model, overhead projector, and those foam sheets (like the one Robert is using for the MC's bumper) would probably be the easiest and fastest way to get it done.

Not to mention CHEAP.

Overhead projector: $100
    3d model: free
    Foam sheets: hell if I know... I just know you can get them cheap lol (Budget $300 for it)
    Paper, Marker, clear projector paper, printer: $50 at most

Foam is also easier to work with IMO.

Not too sure how accurate it is but this model looks good. The only reason I dont have one is that I cant convince the other half it is a highly detailed ornament that should be on display in the lounge. She says its a toy!!

Dont know if they will post to the US. Maybe you could do a search over there for the name or model number. Im damn sure they are not only available to the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Feet-Lamborg...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck though. You really have taken on a HUGE project & i will be very interested to see how you tackle it & how you get on. Sounds like you have the enthusiasm to do it though!!!

Good luck!
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

i wouldn't halfass the early part of this project, you'll never see a 1/8" error on the model, but when you enlarge it, suddenly it will be 3 or 4 inches.

do some research and find something accurate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Escalade182

Quote Originally Posted by Welkin
    A 3d model, overhead projector, and those foam sheets (like the one Robert is using for the MC's bumper) would probably be the easiest and fastest way to get it done.

Not to mention CHEAP.

Overhead projector: $100
    3d model: free
    Foam sheets: hell if I know... I just know you can get them cheap lol (Budget $300 for it)
    Paper, Marker, clear projector paper, printer: $50 at most

Foam is also easier to work with IMO.
    SWEET! I dont know why i havent thought about this. I own 2 LCD projectors and I'm sure I can rig something up! thanks!

Escalade182

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    i wouldn't halfass the early part of this project, you'll never see a 1/8" error on the model, but when you enlarge it, suddenly it will be 3 or 4 inches.

do some research and find something accurate.
    Thanks a lot. I'm gonna hook my projector up to my computer in the basement and get to work! ;D

I feel like such an idiot for not even thinking about this possibility.

Escalade182

okay so I'm actualy talking to you guys from my 120"+ screen in my basement... I skew/stretched the exact demensions (i was more exact, but around 45" tall and 64" wide) ;D

Its almost like theres a lambo in my basement!

I'll post pics, asap.