Thread: moulding problems

moulding problems

im trying to mould a mirror and need to put a lip on it .i,ve tried to stick a cardboard lip with double sided tape to no avail because it keeps coming away .with other moulds ive used printing plates as a lip .it would be of great help if someone could advise me on what to use as a lip and what to bond it on with ???

Re: moulding problems

have you tried modeling clay?? you can cut it into long strips and it'll stick to just about any surface then you'll be able to build the flanges..
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Molding clay works but it is a little difficult to work with for someone with a little fiberglass experience. Go to Walmart or a craft store and get Foam Board. You will use that to make your flanges. You will also need a Hot Glue Gun in order to adhiere the foam board to your part. Once you completely lay your fiberglass on one side (8-10 layers) then you remove the foam board and start your mold release, PVA, and Gel Coat and lay the other side. I hope this helps. Oh, before I forget use a razor blade to cut the foam board.

the way we do it takes only a few Min's,* *polish you mirror,then put masking tape on the back, sticky side* out
    if it is a mirror that you dont mind scuffing the paint on then put a small line of super glue the mirror before you stick your tape on
    Attached Images Attached Images    

then put another strip of masking tape (sticky to sticky) on it,so now you have the sticky side down,then stick your cardboard to the back of the tape.

if it is a split mould you wish to do then a SMALL line of super glue on the mirror then the masking tape,like this