Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a turbo for the exhaust? Please read need info. Thanks

koenig

Is there a turbo for the exhaust? Please read need info. Thanks

Is there a turbo system, for the 4.9 caddy v8 (with carb) that is installed on the muffler? I saw a turbo setup that worked off the exhaust instead of the motor, im not sure how it worked, but it did! lol... Anyway I have no engine room, so have you guys ever heard of this?

Also I was wondering which guys have diablo's on this site? I was hoping we could exchange ideals and pics.

Thanks
    Koenig.

Re: Is there a turbo for the exhaust? Please read need info. Thanks

www.lambolounge.com Great lambo info
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Im not quite sure what you mean? All turbos work off the exhaust.

They use the exhaust gasses to spin a compressor which feeds into the carbs or inlet. They tend to need to be close to the engine block so that not too much energy has been lost by the time it reaches the turbo.

You could use a supercharger driven by a belt from the engine & place it somewhere a little more convenien possibly? Just remember wherever you put either a turbo or supercharger if you have a long route for the air to the carb/inlet you will increase the lag between putting your foot down & getting the power.

308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

i think they mean remote turbos. normal turbos are on the headers (to draw the energy from the exhaust gas flow) while remote turbos are far along the exhaust, close to the cat converter location.

remote turbos have alot of lag and usually aren't worth it unless it's low boost where it wouldnt matter.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

kitcarnut

there was a show on two guys garage and they instaled a turbo on pick up truck at rear of the exhaust and driven back to engine. it was made for pick ups only then.
    I guess you can check there's web????

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

yes this is a picture of the one for a car , an paxton superchargers sell the bowl the carb. fit into

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    yes this is a picture of the one for a car , an paxton superchargers sell the bowl the carb. fit into

Where can I get some specs on this set up.* I want to install one on my 3800 Series II. I like the idea of making horsepower with the exhaust rather than drag on the horsepower the engine produces.* I picked up a Garret from a junk yard off of a Thunderbird that looked promising.* I think I could put it on the header side of the 3800 and plumb it into the intake. I will need to have the chip reworked to add more fuel to the larger injectors I have for the engine.* Any help would be appreciated.* I even have room for an intercooler. I would like to do it before I start making it look pretty in the engine compartment.

Dave

Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

like i said, expect alot of lag. this setup is cheap and relatively easy but the length of the piping means 10x more air to get the pressure needed to get the turbo going, aka lots of lag.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER

I like the idea of making horsepower with the exhaust rather than drag on the horsepower the engine produces.*
    --snip

Dave
    I would have thought the horsepower you gain from the boost produced would make the slight Hp loss from taking the drive from the engine insignificant? Also surely putting an impeller in the flow of the exhaust is going to cause a disruption to the flow of the exhaust & cause backpressure. This will rob you of Hp just like taking a belt off the engine will.

If you go for any form of forced induction do you not have to consider stuff like lowering the compression ratio, how the induction system will work under pressure as previously it was under slight vacuum. Engine mapping for the differing fuel requirements etc.

BTW these are just observations I havent actually messed with turbo systems myself!
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

I have a turbo kit with the turbo mounted over the transaxle, built by PBJ on the Pennocks Fiero forum. There is a long build thread on the forum. Rockcrawl also has a turbo installed in the trunk, same forum. Mark on the Cadillac owners forum Northstar performance and technical discussion installed a turbo in front of the front wheel. Ryan Hess on this same forum hacked a GM computer to run the N* and says that it can handle boost. These are all N* turbo installs but much of the info would apply to the 4.9. In fact PBJ did a turbo install on the 4.9 before he did the N*.