Thread: 355 kit question

355 kit question

I've been toying with the idea of doing a 355 kit since i've already got a couple worthy donor cars. I know everyone says that the warlock kit is junk and the mirage is the way to go, but i have little hope in finding one of those. My question is, does anyone know anything about a place called Fancy Cars located in Minnesota? They offer what seems to be a pretty nice spyder kit and i was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them. Their web address is http://www.coolcustomcars.com

Re: 355 kit question

I've got a Mirage for sale

DKOV -

Very intresting..... If you click on the link on that page for 355 replica photos. The black 355, is the same pictures from Paul's exoctics website. If he builds 355 why use someone else's pics on your webpage.

Bo

AmbeBock, that's the type of stuff that is worth noting. Definitely makes me question his integrity. I appreciate the comment.

DKOV, just out of curiousity, how much do you want for the mirage kit? I might as well tell you right now that there isn't much of a chance that i can afford it at this time. However, i would like to know how much they are going for and I suppose if the price is right i'll see if i can scrounge up some funds. feel free to PM or email me.

The Warlock/IFG kit as I remember was the first 355 kit to appear in Kitcar about 5 years ago. Within a year of that feature article the companies were persuaded by the Ferrari legal staff to cease all production.

The Warlock kit had a few design flaws in areas of symmetry, line, and contour. Most kits sold since then by other makers appear to be molded copies of that first design with its inherent features. Others, like Mirage & b.spyder, came out with cleaner, more perfected designs over a SWB(short wheelbase).

Although most kits are designed for a 3" stretch for a more authentic look, the stock Fiero wheelbase approach does has a few trade-offs. As far as appearance goes, some say you don't notice the difference, but others say it appears too "stubby". How you view it may depend on how authentic of a look you're trying to achieve.

The Warlock/IFG kit as I remember was the first 355 kit to appear in Kitcar about 5 years ago. Within a year of that feature article the companies were persuaded by the Ferrari legal staff to cease all production.

The Warlock kit had a few design flaws in areas of symmetry, line, and contour. Most kits sold since then by other makers appear to be molded copies of that first design with its inherent features. Others, like Mirage & b.spyder, came out with cleaner, more perfected designs over a SWB(short wheelbase).

Although most kits are designed for a 3" stretch for a more authentic look, the stock Fiero wheelbase approach does has a few trade-offs. As far as appearance goes, some say you don't notice the difference, but others say it appears too "stubby". How you view it may depend on how authentic of a look you're trying to achieve.

A "few design flaws" you say...

Althought he IFG splash kits are nice and are adequate for what we all are trying to do, there are some significant flaws that need adressing when building an IFG splash. The least of which is the fact that the body is wider on one side than the other!

Spend the time to tear down, cut up, reassemble parts in the correct panels, glass them together and roll the edges, build a new mounting system, slice the car up the center line and balance the left and right sides, re-align the top for the correct angle THEN pay for the chassis to be cut, stretched and reinforced...

You should just buy the Mirage!

INSERT STRETCH ARGUMENT HERE...

Yes, I know. The 355s wheel base is 2.3 inches longer. True, it is. The overall car is loner too. The problem with the stretch and being able to quote numbers is that the stretchis in the WRONG place!

For convinence sake, the Fiero is cut at the fire wall and the rear subframe is pushed back. However, on a 355, the extra length is in FRONT of the doors. A subtle difference to be sure, but it describes why you can see the "kitness" of an IFG straight off the bat while it takes quite a bit more scrutiny to expose a Mirage.

I get asked all the time how the Mirage can look so acurate while NOT being stretched.

First off, it's wider than the IFG splashes and retains the correct "slant" to the widening rather than the "coke bottle" approach used on the IFG.

Secondly, the roof line has the correct slope over the rear glass. This is done by NOT stretching the rear end of the car.

Thirdly, and possibly the most significant, the Mirage is a first generation copy (directly from a 355) as opposed to IFG splashes that are copies of copies of copies.

Fourth, just plain attention to details. The angles and openings are just great. The mounting locations are very helpful. The fact that ALL the panels are SEPARATE as on the original makes for a much cleaner finished product. You all remember my rocker panel rant? DOORS and ROCKERS should be SEPARATE!!!

Bottom line is the Mirage is much more convincing and accurate despite the shorter wheel base. Why, because the demensional proportions are maintained.

This is precisely why the Mirage sells for $10 Grand. Granted, I'm aksing only $8000 for the second kit that I have, but still... WORTH every penny. Consider what you will need to spend on the stretch and other steps to bring the IFG splash up to standards and you'll SAVE money with a Mirage and it just may look better

As always, my opinion is just that... a toatlly biased, closed minded, blindly focused, non conformist, pig headed.... opinion

DKOV -