Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I found a Testarossa kit

I found a Testarossa kit

Sorry to bother you guys with my used kitcar search but Im looking for advice since you all know more than I do about these cars..Kitcars are not popular around here and I cant look at any in person to give me ideas on how to make the car better..
    Okay, I dug deep to find this car and its not priced to bad..I could get it for around 10k..
    It has a v6 4sp and 120k miles..He says it leaks a little oil..hmmm ..He says oil pan gasket but I figure its a motor seal most likely..He hasnt had it checked out..Should a oil leak scare me away from the car??

You guys are the pros in this market so I was wondering how hard it would be to make the car more realistic as well..I know the front lens covers would need to be replaced..And it needs the 3rd brake light and side blinkers..The wheels are wrong but I could live with that..But how about the rear taillights and grill ?? How hard would it be to change the headlights to pop up units and what would it take to make the taillights and grill area look more realistic??

Any ideas ??
    Thanks..
    --Mark--

here are photos of the car

Re: I found a Testarossa kit

The rear taillights and grill arent really that bad. An oil leak would definitely run me off, unless the car was a steal, and I would certainly plan on getting it fixed. To make functional replica tr headlights is very time consuming and difficult, I have easily over 75 hours in mine, that car probably also has radiator supports that would have to be cut out to fit the buckets in place, you probably would want to leave them alone on this car. It would be near impossible to do all the metal work, cutting installation and alignment in up and down positions without disturbing the surrounding paintwork on the fenders and hood, also if you have to wire them from scrath that will not be an easy task. The 4 strakes instead of 5 look odd, but overall the car looks better than a lot of the other TR kits for sale. Any lights you want to install such as 3rd brakelight or side markers would again be impossible to install without disturbing the paint, and they are supposed to be recessed, not bolted on top of the flat body.

Thanks for the input..

It looks like a decent car..But there are so many things that are just wrong about it..
    The headlights I could live with probably..I would probably fab projector lens pods and throw HID bulbs on the car.I put real HID bulbs in my other cars and they are great...
    I know the F40 kit I have requires the same cutting and relocating of the mechanisms for the pop up lights.So I know how involved that process is.
    How hard would it be to replace the front or rear seal on the engine..He stated pan gasket but I know oil leaks and have replaced seals on my other cars..But they were front engine rear drive cars and not stuck sideways between the wheels..Would I have to drop the whole cradle?? With 120k miles on the motor maybe a shortblock might be a better idea if I had to drop the cradle anyway..
    It seems like all the kitcars need something.. If I paid 10k for this and put another 5k into it I figure I could have a decent kit..But it would still only have 4 strakes and non replica wheels ..
    There are more realistic kit out there but they are missing things like engines and cost more..

This car was for sale on here about 2 months ago. Overall I think it looks pretty good. If I remember correctly it also needed a headliner and the console was funky. I think overall it's probably a good deal. I assume at some point you'd want to upgrade the engine anyway. As long as the pan or valve covers are the cause of the leak the gaskets can be changed with the motor in the car, I would worry more if it were a rear main seal. Take care. Bill

See..I knew you guys would know something about this car ;D

I dont realy need a fast replica..My daily driver has all the speed I need if I want to go fast..But I know having a slow Ferrari and a fast Neon is just wrong and I would have to do something about it..But it would take a ton of money to get the Fiero fast enough to keep up with the Srt-4.

Not to get off topic but I was at the track last week and ran consistant mid to high 12s.
    Best run was 12.5xx @ 117mph..Not to bad for a front drive 4 cylinder with the stock turbo and some minor bolt-ons.
    Once the nitrous is on the car and sticky dot slicks I should see low 12s and maybe high high 11s If I get lucky and can hook up..My trap speed is high enough for low 12s now but traction is the problem :-[

I think it's a great looking car, and sounds like a good price to me. As has been said, there are a lot of little things that aren't authentic, but for that price they wouldn't bother me. I personally don't even mind the headlights. Take a look at the headlights on a 1995 512M:

the 512M are rounded and have no black border but it's all details that can easily be changed.
    i think one important thing about this car is that the rear wheels are the right size (the suspension could use a drop) but wheels on a TR can be quite a pain in the wallet, especially with the TR's width.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Yeah..I could live with the headlights.
    I know about the 512m ..It helps make the headlights seem a little more believable since ferrari made a real tr in the same manner..

if you do get that car, let me know, i'll get some pics of my dads friends 1995 512M, better than searching the internet.

does the car have mirrors, it looks like it had some before
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    the 512M are rounded and have no black border but it's all details that can easily be changed.
    i think one important thing about this car is that the rear wheels are the right size (the suspension could use a drop) but wheels on a TR can be quite a pain in the wallet, especially with the TR's width.
    The rear tires are wide 335mm wide..I believe 335 35R17

Replica wheels are so spendy.. I wouldnt even bother since the car isnt exact enough to justify replica wheels..
    I like the wheels better then the 348 style wheels that came on the 512m anyway..

And the Mirrors are back on the car now.. As well as the Ferrari badges and emblems..