Thread: Could I pull it off....

Could I pull it off....

Hey folks,

A bit off the wall here but I am starting the house hunt in the next month. I have always been looking for a place with a 2 car garage so I have space to work on a kit but with the housing market up there, the prices are getting outrageous. The question I have is, are any of you working on your toys in a single car garage? And if so, is it a pain in the butt?

I badly want the double but want opinions to those working in a single....if there are any... Slap if I sound nuts! ;-)

Thanks folks!!
    Lance

Re: Could I pull it off....

Hey... don't buy into that "two car garage" routine...

It's a single, just a WIDE single

Most of use ARE working in a two car but still have to walk sideways to get around the project

DKOV -

Don't settle. Get the 2 to 2 1/2 car garage. I have a 2.5 (22' x 24'). There's no way I could get another car in there with all my tools and the lawn equipment. It's a tight fit as is. Try to get something with a big shed, too, where you can put extra stuff (like lawn equipment). Can it be done smaller? Sure. Will you be happier with a bigger garage? Definitely.

Slap!!!
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I went from a double to a single in my move... and it SUCKS... big time. With all my equipment(Drill Press, tool chest, compresser, work bench etc.) there's not much room left to build a Countach!. I have to keep moving the car out into the driveway, when I want to work on different parts, like the Wing, hood etc... I also have a shed out back to store my lawn Equipment and extra parts for the Kit.... BUT NEVER AGAIN will I do it in a single garage... It takes up more of you time, because you have to move things around in order to work on your project... So, if all possable stay away from a single....

kitcarnut

you are woried about space?Heh dont forget your new neighbors.if you live in 30k income morelikely your toy will be stolen,now we move up100K income neighbors and all you hear what's he doing there it's 9PM !! Honey, there are sparks and fire and the fiberglass smell,maybe we should call the township tomorow? aint easy man, but as long as you keep your lawn neat you may score few points.

Forget it. I cannot work in less than a 3 car garage. I have a three and I keep telling my wife I want to build a shop that can fit two more cars and have a 12 ft ceiling for a lift. right now I have my F-50 project diagonally across half of the garage and my sons 88 Coupe in the far third, leaving about 1/6 of the garage for my compressor, welder, toolbox and the 3.4/4speed cradle going into the F-50. If I ever had to go down to a one car garage I would knock a hole in an exterior wall and start working in the middle of the living room.

I completely agree with MSHILL. I have a 2 car garage. It's 20 X 22 and is still too small (I have to share half with the wife and kids). If you live in the north where cold and snow is an issue then a single car garage will be very difficult. either case make sure you can build a shed to store all the extra stuff that tends to take up a lot of space in the garage.

I've seen a few sites that a doing Lambos with a lift in a single garage. That is another option if you can't get the double : (correction: 2 full sized cars ) garage.
    http://www.kitcar.ca/Forum/Uploaded_.../850and355.gif<br />Family wagon paid for! Now for the mid-life crisis solution.

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info. I actually just put an offer in on a new build in Whitby. Garage is 20x22. It was the best I could do with the models I have to choose from. Now, all I have to do is wait till March for it to be built... ug.

Thanks for all the input!!

Anyone else here in the Whitby, Ontario area?

Lackey: I think it depends on your Marriage Contract! Make sure she has signed for outside storage! When winter comes, and the snow is piled up on her windshield Monday am, well, you get the picture. Just a thought, if your house is being built now, pay them xtra to change the framework on the roof of the garage. So you can accomadate your 'new lift'!
    good luck, Sandy