Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've given up on Kit Cars.

I've given up on Kit Cars.

I regret to inform you all that after two years of researching this, I have given up on the whole kit car issue. Wondering what motor to use or what transmission and who would build it... the problem is Transport Canada and Canadian Customs. They wont let a kit car into Canada or even a body shell that might resemble a kit car, no doors or grills or any mechanical moving parts.

So the hell with it. Every one here in Canada I know only wants to build Diablo's and sell them for an insane amount of money, yet I could have had an exact Countach replica built in the states for around $40K US. the few builders who were building Countaches here looked like a bad Ferio abortion.... The few good builders who built Countaches here aren't building them any more or were even interested in building one.

They just want to build there Diablo's and charge as much as a real one... So, I figure, I'm just going to take out a lone and get a real one! There is a beautiful 1988 Countach black and gold in Springfield MO. There asking, $80K. I know that's a lot but this car is CLEAN! looks like the day it rolled off the showroom floor! Hell, I know guys here in Canada asking more then that for there Kit Car Diablo's with a Ferio motor! pfft.... Sorry to rant like this. I can now see why Kit cars are looked down on and why you don't see any on the street. Except the odd Cobra Replica's.

Re: I've given up on Kit Cars.

uuuuhhh...Okay. See Ya! ;D
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Babe, I feel for you I really do, but it could be worse. My first kit car was going to be an extremely authentic 355 spyder with factory wheels badges and airbag steering wheel, it was to be built by CK3 of Calgary, Alberta. The contract price was 32k usd and I sent 16k as a deposit, guess what, that was the last time I saw that money and there is no car because it was a scam! I then spent the next three years building a 512tr chassis, spending about 39k and hundreds of hours, finally I found a completed car bought it and went to sell the other one and I have had very "generous" offers of $3500-$4500 for a chassis that took almost 30k and hundreds of hours of custom work. You may be doing a smart thing by not getting a kit car. I got into replica Ferraris after owning real ones first.

Lone should be Loan as in borrowing money. How in the world are you going to have the cash to maintain the car. You need to have a minor service every 3,000 K and the service is about $1,800 US. It sounds like a nice Fiero set up for racing might satisfy your need for a kit car. I wish I had done that.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I see Ferrari kits for sale in Canada all the time on ebay. Maybe what you need to do is buy one in the U.S. and get the paper work on it here and then take it back with you. I have a friend that moved up there and she took her car up. If there something I can do as far as finding you a finish kit here in Florida and maybe sending it to U.S., Canada line let me know.
    Anthony (BLACKMASK) Coleman<br /><br />Producer, Songwriter, Manager

Hey Hawk I say go for it if can afford to get a loan,no reason not to. But I will suggest that you get a pre puurchase inspection done on it that car may be mint on the outside but rotten to the core.These motors tend to litterly disinegrate from the inside out.Head gaskets are known to corrode. be very careful. you can be out twenty to thirty thousand if the motor needs a overhaul.the parts are very, very expensive.head gaskets are $400.00 dollors each side,just for the head gakets.be very careful.The real cars are by all means rich boy toys I know because I have a friend here in Phoenix that works on these beast out of his garage. Now I am not trying to discourge you I just want to give you a heads up on what could possibly be waiting for you. Good luck I hope things work out for you one way or the other.Keep us informed.
    1BadF40 And now runnin with the Devil

Where in Canada are you?
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

kitcarnut

Friend of ours owns a 87 Countach paid like 130Ginos for it about 3 years ago,soon after the clutch is gone and the dealer was asking $15K Can. not sure if taxes where inlc. ???
    do it your self was 2K just for the 10 000rpm proof clutch.
    he also owns replica by Prova.

Quote Originally Posted by jdorr2002
    Babe, I feel for you I really do, but it could be worse. My first kit car was going to be an extremely authentic 355 spyder with factory wheels badges and airbag steering wheel, it was to be built by CK3 of Calgary, Alberta. The contract price was 32k usd and I sent 16k as a deposit, guess what, that was the last time I saw that money and there is no car because it was a scam! I then spent the next three years building a 512tr chassis, spending about 39k and hundreds of hours, finally I found a completed car bought it and went to sell the other one and I have had very "generous" offers of $3500-$4500 for a chassis that took almost 30k and hundreds of hours of custom work. You may be doing a smart thing by not getting a kit car. I got into replica Ferraris after owning real ones first.
    That loser blaine kennedy from Ck3 scammed me too probally about 5 years ago now. I was TICKED. thing is, I live about 3 hours from Calgary (Edmonton to be exact) and he's no where to be found.

And the technical part of this is??
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif