Thread: f355 wiring connectors problem

f355 wiring connectors problem

I have recently purchased genuine tail lights for my mr2/355 replica.

only problem is I need the 4 pin connector blocks that plug into the lights.

ferrari wiring looms are too expensive, are there any alternatives?

thanks in advance.

Re: f355 wiring connectors problem

Is it not possible to cut off the plugs & put general type connectors on or is it moulded into the actual light unit? If it is moulded in then what about soldering a new wire onto the connections inside?

I havent got my light units yet so sorry if these comments are obvious.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

genuine lights have 4 pins. the original wiring loom in a 355 has 4 pin (female) connection blocks.

only ways round this are use spade connectors (unreliable and prone to faults)

or aquire genuine ferrari loom blocks.

I'm kind of hoping there is a company that has similar shaped connector blocks. (female 4 pin)

How much are my genuine lights worth?

I may have to sell them and get the replicas after all!

Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

I soldered wires directly to each pin and then use individual heat shrink tubing over each connection.
    Take care. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ericuk
    genuine lights have 4 pins. the original wiring loom in a 355 has 4 pin (female) connection blocks.

only ways round this are use spade connectors (unreliable and prone to faults)

or aquire genuine ferrari loom blocks.

I'm kind of hoping there is a company that has similar shaped connector blocks. (female 4 pin)

How much are my genuine lights worth?

I may have to sell them and get the replicas after all!
    Spade connectors if done correctly with the right tool & some form of cover are no less reliable than the car block connectors. Soldering is actually better than both methods. I really wouldnt sell them just because the wiring is different.
    Even if you did get original block connectors, you still have to solder those into the loom on your car. Why not just cut out the weak link (the block) & solder them directly in. If you are worried about needing to replace them, why would you want to? & even if you did after an accident etc it is a simple job to de-solder them back out.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

If they needed to be replaced just cut the heat shrink tubing with a razor blade or X-acto knife and unsolder them. I actually have a terminal strip and soldered the correct length wire and soldered on the U shaped lugs from both the Fiero harness and the new light harness. I neatened up the whole rear wiring mess. Cleaned it all up with a few wire ties. This terminal strip gives a god place to test the entire rear panel of the car including the license plate bulbs.
    Take care. Bill

thanks guys,

the old guy across the road has just said the same thing...he said

"why spend silly money getting the block connectors when spades will do the same job...don't throw money at it, you won't get it back"

how true that is!