Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: f355 kits

f355 kits

I often see extreme and BAD, but I havent heard much of

www.mr2kits.co.uk (dave jones)

He is a really nice chap and his kits look fantastic.

I have booked in my mr2 with him to get converted...

Just wondered if anyone else has used his kits or had him fit one?

p.s would love to see pics of 355 kits any of you guys own.

Re: f355 kits

i would say that his kits are alright if you have a budget, a few details wrong with it compared to a real 355

I think i know most of them as he did point them out but just out of curiosity... what can you spot?

Hmm. Dont take these as an insult, all kits have their faults, but these are my observations from the ex roy kelly/dave jones kit. Also some of these may be due to the way a photo was taken.

Bumper looks o.k. but the strip across between the bumper & bonnet doesnt follow the correct line, it seems to go straight rather than follow the curve of the bumper.

The headlamp lids seem too narrow at the bottom. They also dont follow the bonnet dip edge that runs down either side as they should do.

The rear quarter lights dont follow the correct curve as they are original mr2 & they have the vents. These are easy to change & I dont know why it is not done on these kits?

The lower scoop in the sill below the door uses the bottom of the door to complete & makes the sill area look untidy when the door is open & too large when the door is shut.

The side scoops are not deep enough (this may have been changed since I last saw it)

The overall height of the car is wrong. It is made so that you dont have to lower the car. This is good if you are on a budget, but if you look at the car overall you can see that it sits too high. Its as if you have taken a photo & stretched it upwards in photoshop.

To overcome the additional height the line of the bonnet is too steep, this is needed to ensure the bumper is at the correct height, but doesnt look quite right from a direct side on shot.

The overall height of the body is too high to take into account the fact it isnt lowered.

The wheels always end up being too small as no modifications to the arches are taken into account in the kit. This could be changed with a little work from the builder but never seems to be on these kits.

The larger panels with a lack of actual joints seems to give a plastic type one piece look. This again can be dealt with by semi routing out the joints to make it look like they are joined but never seems to be.

Rear lights are usually aftermarket ones with screws that just dont look right.

The black strip across the boot line is too fat due to the extra height of the body (cos it aint lowered)

Overall the cars look nice, but not authentic enough. The extreme 355 still isnt fully authentic, it needs a wheelbase stretch, the front screen changing & the back of the side scoops sorting. I think it is however the best looking 355 available, but im biased as I already have an extreme kit.

You pay your money & take your choice. I cirtainly know that you will be driving & polishing yours long before I even think about painting mine, so maybe some people think I made the wrong choice?
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

blimey!

I have to agree with your points.

I have seen both the dave jones and extreme kit and think they both look very kool.

As said before, I would have got an extreme kit for those extra touches mentioned but I just find them so rude!

How is your build coming along drew?

Unfortunatley my build is completely stopped. The g/f's MGF died bigtime which meant the kit is now sat outside under a sheet. The MGF currently has the head off, needs a complete coolant clean out, etc. Whilst its in there I am doing the brakes, front bearings, sealing it underneath & respraying the bootlid. (all the jobs I have been saying I would do for ages!) It will be at east another 2 weeks before I can even think about getting the 355 back in the garage.

When is your pick up date?
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Its been delayed ... put back til end of July - Mid August :'(

You may have time to catch up after all!!!

have you not thought about getting a b.a.d generation 2 kit if you dont want an extreme, that looks much better than the dave jones kit

I have looked at some bad kits at a kit car show not long ago.

My only reservation about them was hearing the kits are no longer made... wether this is true or not is not for me to say but after hearing that I didn't persue them any further.

They do look good but I don't see them any better than dave's kits and not as authentic as the extreme kit.

have you got a bad kit fitted or are you building one?

bad kits are still available through evansmotorsports liverpool uk