Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious Newbie

Curious Newbie

I've been watching this board for a little while and I am very impressed with what you all are doing with a Fiero. I have a couple of questions that I have not seen the answer to. I'm most interested in the F355 Coupe.

1. Could I fit in the car (I'm 6' 3" tall and weigh 195lbs)?

2. Which body kit do you recommend for the F355?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    Rockwall, TX
    Ferrari Dreamer

Re: Curious Newbie

1. Yes, you should be able to. I'm 6'1 and don't have a problem. If your worried just find a fiero in your local newspaper /junkyard and jump in.

2. Best body kit: The Mirage Coupe. Only problem is the company who originially made them wwas sued by ferrari, so you can only obtain them 2nd hand. Try to stay away from "IFG" clones, those are the 355 kits which have the bumeprs attached right to the body instead of the body being seperate pieces.

Your height should not be a problem as long as you can fit in a Fiero. One thing that kind of bothers me is where to put my left foot in the Fiero. There is no space between the clutch and the wheel well. I have to sit with my left leg bent because it sits on the wheel well and I can't extend it. I am 5'10" by the way.

IFG kits can vary in quality. I think Spyder's kit might be an IFG style and his came out more than ok. I have an IFG kit but it was created by a shop with experience with fiberglass. When buying it would be best to inspect the kit in person and pick it up to avoid problems. As long as it is solid and good condition go for it.

Make sure you understand the total cost of building a kit before you start buying stuff. It's not just a Fiero ($2000), kit ($4500), wheels and tires($1500), and paint ($2000) and you got a Ferrari for around 10K.

If you really want a nice replica you are going to need new suspension, new brakes, new engine and exhaust, kit to put in new engine, new interior. And don't forget things like getting your car stretched, Ferrari emblems, taillights...etc. But if this is something you really want to to go for it. I get excited everytime I think about how great it is going to be when I am done.

Tell us more about yourself and why you want to build a replica.

I've still got a source for a Mirage 355 kit. More spendy than an IFG splash but worth it!

There are quite a bit of differences between them, especially when you see them up close... which is where it counts.

Check out my build site for some pics of the Body kit and how each panel is CORRECTLY separate and the doors and rockers are SEPARATE. Then check out an IFG splash and you'll immediately see the "kit" giveaways...

www.gopc.com/F355/F355x.html

Let me know if you (or anyone) is interested in the Mirage kit.

DKOV -

Your site is what really got me interested in the coupe. A teenager here at work is planning on building a spyder F355 with his dad. That is how I got interested and started surfing around and came across this site.

I guess the million dollar question is always: How much $$$ for your kit?

Tom
    Ferrari Dreamer

DKOV is this the coupe or spyder? I have seen a few mirage coupes but have yet to see a syder version... you have any pics on a spyder version?

Plus how much for the Mirage?

I've still got a source for a Mirage 355 kit. *More spendy than an IFG splash but worth it!

There are quite a bit of differences between them, especially when you see them up close... which is where it counts.

Check out my build site for some pics of the Body kit and how each panel is CORRECTLY separate and the doors and rockers are SEPARATE. *Then check out an IFG splash and you'll immediately see the "kit" giveaways...

www.gopc.com/F355/F355x.html

Let me know if you (or anyone) is interested in the Mirage kit.

DKOV -
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

I actually have a Coupe AND a Spyder but the Spyder is spoken for. I haven't heard from the would-be spyder owner in a while though I've left a couple of messages for him...

Anyway, the magic number is $8000. Sounds very high and it is, but NOT for a Mirage.

I'm working on a collage page for my site that shows the contrast between IFG spashes and Mirage kits and then Mirage kits side by side with REAL 355s... you'll be able to see clearly what I'm talking about then

DKOV -

Hey DKOV-

I was wondering about the mirage - do you have to shorten the Fiero Doors and can the windows still go all the way down? I know on the F50 Kits the windows can't go all the way down.

No, you don't have to shorten the doors. Everything functions as normal. The Rockers install in place of the factory Fiero Rockers and the doors stay intact. No issues at all.

I don't know why the IFG spach kits say that they MUST integrate the rockers in order for the windows to go all the way down... Sounds odd to me but it may just be the way those kits are designed.

The Mirage is fine though... no worries

DKOV -

If the guy doesn't contact you regarding the spyder... how much do you need for it?

I actually have a Coupe AND a Spyder but the Spyder is spoken for. *I haven't heard from the would-be spyder owner in a while though I've left a couple of messages for him...

Anyway, the magic number is $8000. *Sounds very high and it is, but NOT for a Mirage.

I'm working on a collage page for my site that shows the contrast between IFG spashes and Mirage kits and then Mirage kits side by side with REAL 355s... *you'll be able to see clearly what I'm talking about then

DKOV -
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman