Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the donor car for this replica?

What is the donor car for this replica?

Hi everyone!

I'm sure many of you have already seen this site before:

http://ferrarigtbmexico.tripod.com/id2.html

It seems to be a Mexico based kit car assembler. The 308 at first looks almost authentic, but then I noticed small irregularities like the doors do not line up well in some of the pictures, the hood looks like its ajar or not sealed properly on the passenger's side near the windshield, the antenna is on the driver's side, there are no door handles by the side windows. side marker lights are missing on the front fenders, the turn signal lights recessed in the front bumper are wrong, a prop rod is holding up the deck lid, and a soild roof GTB should have a rear side window where the louvers are.

My curiosity is peaked because at a glance, it looks to be a very good replica. For all us Fiero rebodied owners, it even has the elusive triangular vent window. In comparison to my car, the windshield angle looks better on this car and so do the side windows. There are no shots of the interior, but it looks as if the dash pod is correct.

Could this have been a real 308 resurrected? Anyone know what a possible donor could be? Or just a very good car mold off a real 308, built on a custom chassis?

Is there anyone fluent enough in Spanish to be able to read the description, and translate?

The tab labeled "Otros Ferraris" pictures real Ferraris and you can see the differences from the actual GTS with the Compomotive rims. The side view shot at the bottom almost looks as if the car is too long and the misalignment at the top of the door is really evident.

Different...but I wonder if the molds are available????

Gino

Re: What is the donor car for this replica?

its definitely not a real 308, after studying the pics, I would say the replica is a fiero based kit, the roofline and the a pillars look all the way fiero, I believe they changed the side glass and achieved the vent window and more slanted b pillar this way. I would love to buy this kit. Any translators?

yeah i only took spanish for 8 months but i think i know most of it...

REPLICA IDENTICA DE FERRARI 308 GTB , MOTOR Y SUSPENSIÓN DE CHEVROLET X-11 MODIFICADO, EXCELENTE MANEJO, SUPER RAPIDO Y BALANCEADO  POR LA RELACIÓN PESO POTENCIA, HEADERS, CRISTALES Y PUERTAS ELECTRICAS, SONIDO STEREO, JAMAS GOLPEADO, LLANTAS NUEVAS, RINES,  ALTURA TOTAL DEL AUTO DE PISO A TECHO 1.06 mts., PEDALES ESPECIALES, ASIENTOS ANATOMICOS, DOCUMENTOS EN ORDEN ETC.

Replica of a Ferrari 308 GTB, Motor and suspension of a chevy x-11. Modifications, Excellent handling, super fast, and balanced by the relation of weight power? Headers, crystals, and electric doors. stereo. new rims. overall height of 1.06 meters special pedals, (dunno the next part sry...) and documents in order etc.

Unless the fiero was an X-11 over in Mexico. It seems that they are using an X-11 which was a chevy citation. Only problem is that the X-11 is front wheel drive.

I can't remember if there was an X-11 that was 4WD but I don't think so. (There was talk of something by GM to compete with those 4WD AMC Eagles and the other similar looking car (AMC Spirit??, I can't remember now) that was 4WD by AMC as well. You can convert the site by pasting the website address at:

http://www.freetranslation.com

The body is'nt too bad looking. If I had to guess, I'd say that a Stinger Kit made it to Mexico. The winshield does look Ferrari to me. The center is extended and it has a greater curve than the Fiero WInshield. It also has the "deep" intake vents behind the door and the rear engine cover opens correctly like a real 308. It even looks like the hood may have been slightly "grooved" around the wipers like the real 308. The real 308 has a pretty noticable " Twin Grooves" in the rear of the hood to clear the base of the wiper arms. The car looks good.

Also, Mabye since it's Mexico (I don't beleive the Fiero was sold there - at least I've never seen one in all the times I was there which was quite a bit), mabye they are aware the the 84-87 Fiero Mid engine setup was taken from the Front Wheel Drive Chevy X-11 / Citation platform and mabye that's where they are getting the X-11 from ??

That would be one wicked Front Wheel Drive SBC or 3800SC swap would'nt it? Imagine the looks down the track when you do a Front wheel Burn-out !
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Chamaco

Hi there!
    Just recapping...Fiero was sold in Mexico in limited editions and most of them can be found in central Mexico in Junk yards or "Yonke's" as they are called in Mexico. The X-11 was a funny looking, sportier version of the citation. Stability wasn't its name though. There are very good fiber workers in Mexico. As a matter of fact, when a few were bragging and taking claim to have been the first of: Diablo, Maclaren, Enzo, to state a few... Diablo was rolled off on a space chasis the same year it rolled out of the factory (the original that is) only a few months later. Maclaren with three seat, center driver position has been available for over 5 years now, similar to DDR only better finished and cheaper. Enzo came out when the first Revell model hit the market (3 months after) so guys...sorry to inform many who thought thay had invented black thread... In any event, labor is very cheap and skins are very affordable in Mexico, and with NAFTA in place, importing to US and Canada is a breeze as long as accompanied by a bill and letter of origin. The rest is peanuts and can even be called "art" for customs purposes...just a little tip.
    Kindest Regards,}
    Chamaco

Chamaco

P.S.- The price on that Ferrari- US $ 14,672.49 with todays exchange rate.

Chamaco ,

Thanks for the input. I heard in the past about Fieros in Mexico but never saw one in all the times I was there. That's good to know. I could'nt imagine why they would'nt have Fieros over there.

I did figure out the exhange rate. Are you in Mexico now? I agree about the talent and "glassworkers" over there, It's a talent that's for sure. SOme of the paintings, architecture etc are fantastic in Mexico. Beats alot of other places hands-down so replicas should be no different. After seeing some of the quality some of the US producers put out, A Mexican or U.K. / Overseas replica could certainly be of a better quality depending on the experience of who built it.

What is the reference on the site about Cash? I see some verbage about the asking price and I guess something about "know-it-alls or something down in the lower part of the page.

What is the X-11 Referring to? Is it actually built on an X-11 / Citation? or a Fiero, Does it mention the engine. I thought about sending an e-mail to the seller but I'm guessing it may not be understood. I would actually have an interest in the car. To bad it is'nt a bit closer, I'd love to see it in person if it's still for sale.

Thanks for the updates.

Brian
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Chamaco

Yes I'm actually in Guadalajara, Mexico as we speak. Regarding X-11, the suspension and the engine come from that car. I tend to believe it was built on a space frame, but don't quote me on that. As far as the cash question, he will accept a car and cash or full ammount in cash. Obviously I'm sure he's expecting a descent car, not just a crash derby left over (lol). I tried calling him to see if he still has it but no response yet. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Kindest Regards,
    Jon Michael (Chamaco)...means kid in Mexico...40 year old kid by the way...with big toys (lol) but still toys and still a kid...

Thanks for the updates.

I agree. A lot of the architecture , art etc in Mexico is fantastic. Replica's should be no different. Certainly, I would consider a replica made in Mexico and overseas (especially when you see some of the "domestic products/quality as far as replicas go). Not knocking some of our replicas but I have seen some pretty poor workmanship and horrible attention to detail which does seem better in some German, English, (and Mexican) types of replicas. There is certainly quite a bit of talent around other than in the U.S. No argument here.

I've considered e-mailling about the car as well. Was'nt sure if my e-mail would be understood though. I wish I could take a look at the drivetrain.

Brian

Other than the wheels this kit looks awesome..
    When will someone make a split side window kit?? How did he do that??