Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The canada border

The canada border

hello all.I have a diablo replica roadster thats built on a 1985 fiero donor.its also titled as a pontiac fiero.Someone want to buy it that lives in canada,but there worried of getting it over the border.With it still technicially still being a Fiero...will they have any trouble?Whats the best way to get em over? Thank-you

Re: The canada border

Kinda unrealted but im also in the market for a Diablo rep, just wonder how much u sold it for??
    GsXr

I just went through the border from the US into Canada last weekend with my custom frame project. The frame still had the original VIN on the windshield and is still registered in Oregon. Does not matter that there is nothing left of the Fiero except the windshield and door frame section.

The border guard filled out some paperwork for me and I paid GST and away I went.

Now, your dilemma will be a bit different in that you will have a running car under the Diablo frame. This can be classified as a running vehicle and you will have more paperwork to fill out.

I strongly suggest you get the buyer to talk to a Customs Broker in their home town and have that broker work the details of getting the car across the border.

The fact that your donor is over 20 years old will greatly help the process of getting the car through the border but you should not have any major problems.

Make sure you give the buyer all your paperwork, a really good and official copy of a bill of sale, the registration from your State, and a listing of ALL parts and pieces that are coming with the car. I did not have the listing and it could have got ugly on me but the border guard said no problem that time.

Get a broker though as there are more details needed to get a running car through.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I would also suggest looking on Factory 5's web site as they have some information on getting replicas/kit cars into canda from the US as well.
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

As a builder and importer of kits into Canada I can say this much... a completed kit will never get across the boarder into Canada. Even under the 15 yr plus rule Canada Customs will not allow the import of the kit. There are loop holes but they require time and investment to make them work in your favour and it still becomes a crap shoot depending on who inspects it. Welcome to Canada where you can build one here.. register it here ... but just can't buy one and have it shipped here...lol.

Cheers,
    XD.
    Xtreme Dreams Lamborghini Replica&#039;s<br />Bloomfield, Ontario<br />Canada.

Ok Guys...some info. I called 888-848-8240 which is the number to customes/boarder VECHIAL Department for info. on bringing a car accross the boarder.The supervisor's name is VARNELL. This is exactley what I said.Im calling from the US & a citizan of CANADA what to buy my car,but is afraid he wont get it through customs,boarder. Its a 1985 pontiac fiero. he goes no problem,its excempt from the registration process because its over 15 years old. I said.....but I left something out...Its heavilly modified.Its got a body kit on it that makes it look like a lamborghini diablo Roadster.The chassie is still a pontiac fiero & my title says 1985 pontiac fiero & the Vin # on the title matches the VIN plate on the windsheild of the vechial in question.Technicially,this is still a pontiac fiero,Correct. he says YES,YOUR RIGHT! You wont have no problem as long as you have the paper work. RIGHT THEN & THERE I ASKED FOR THE # I CALLED,THE DEPARTMENT Hes in & HIS NAME. hey,with all that said...its worth a shot!

Ok I will make this as painless as possible for you... the guy you spoke with is wrong plain and simple. How do I know this... I have tried and failed to be able to import a completed kit. If you want to save yourself the hassle of what is really going to happen once that car hits the Canada Customs boarder agent then call them back. This time don't beat around the bush and tell them it's modified to look like something, be straight and tell them it is a Kit Car. Then you will hear this guy change his story right quick and in a hurry, if you don't you are going to be turned back at the boarder and have to either ship your car back to you or trailer it home. I'm not trying to dampen your day but instead take it as I am trying to save you money and a big headache. If you want to see it for yourself then click on the link I have posted to the Canada Customs Vehicle Import list and scroll down to the 4th page http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf. Hopefully you will take some good advice and save yourself the headache that will result from trying anyway.

Cheers,
    XD.
    Xtreme Dreams Lamborghini Replica&#039;s<br />Bloomfield, Ontario<br />Canada.

Visit this page for some helpful information:
    http://www.factoryfive.com/table/com...nadaintro.html
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

"Factory Five Racing does not provide completed vehicles in any stage of assembly. Factory Five Racing does not sell cars, kit cars or vehicles of any type. Our chassis kits require complete fabrication by a customer and contain fewer than 50% of the required content of a vehicle in both value or part content."

Not even FFR can get a completed kit car into Canada??? :
    GsXr

Centerfolds,

I am a US Citizen who has been living in Canada for 6 yrs now. I go through a lot getting simple things into this country. Things such as books, a cat play house and birthday and christmas gifts from family and friends.

I think you should be able to get your "CAR" (key wording) into Canada.

It has to do with a few things, wording and paper work are key..

1) You have a titled "CAR" and with a manufacturers name (be it kit form or not)
    2) You are doing this person to person and NOT "a business in USA to person in Canada"

So treat it as the year make and model it is - and see what they (Canada) needs to get it done..

I am human and can be wrong - however - I strongly believe it will fall under the rules of an older car coming into this country.

To prove my point and where I am going with this - even though it is off subject:

A) IF I were to order a BOOK or BOOKS from any online US BOOK STORE and they send them to Canada with a business name label and return address - CANANDA treats it one way, under that ruling, and taxes the heck out of it among other headaches...

B) HOWEVER IF my fmaily or a friend buys them for me and then sends the SAME book(s) personally - CANADA treats those differently, under yet another ruling, and less headaches too...

It is all how things are worded and if it is a "COMPANY" DBA or a "PERSON to PERSON transaction"

Keep in mind you have a well known manufacturer's name "CAR" and a title stating such. And this is unlike "XDBuilder" and "Factory Five Racing" which are both companies DBA (Doing Business As) Kit Car builders in the eyes of Customs Canada mind you - and even myself and my future company will be under those guide lines as well - and NOT like brandname manufacturers which fall under a completely different set of rules and regs.

SO PLEASE keep us up to date on the out come as it will be helpful to all who follow after you..

Best of Luck,

Tony<br />www.KitCarVenture.com <br />(I like to share, my dream showing, each phase of designing and building a new car of my own)