Thread: 4.9 Caddy

4.9 Caddy

Hello:

I am thinking of buying a 4.9 caddy motor, wiring harness and computer out of a 91 Deville. Is $750.00 Canadian a good price from the wrecker, I am going to see it tomorrow and hopefully hear it run. It aparently has low miles on it, And they will pull the motor for me. I am wondering where to get the engine mounts? and how much they would cost, I guess I only need 2 custom mounts. And everything else I can fabricate myself and purchase locally off the counter. So is this swap really as straight forward as I hear? Was just wondering if anyone has done this swap and get some opinions. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Trevor,

Re: 4.9 Caddy

Trevor, the 4.9 is also my goal... Bubbajoe in Toronto is very knowledgeable on this subject. Here are a copy of links, that will answer all your questions...
    http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/switch/67/

http://communities.msn.ca/FieroCaddy..._whatsnew.msnw

http://communities.msn.ca/FieroCaddy...sageboard.msnw

Felix

kitcarnut

Not sure about Cad engine,but all V8 needs more than motor mounts.Like adapter plate,flywheel,clutch,starter,tran-engine mounts.maybe you should get a swap kit ??? Time saving and headache..years back I paid 2 ginos (Can) for Archies swap. Today I would build a 6 banger with enough power to kick ass.

The Caddie's 4.* bolt right up to the Fiero tranie.... The hardest part of the swap is the wiring for the fuel enjection. Unless you go carb, then it is allot easier....

Thanks for the help guys:

I think I will be going fuel injection, Hopefully. I never got a chance today to get a look at the engine, But will by the end of the week.

Thanks Again
    Trevor,

skills may be better than mine or youRe: 4.9 Caddy

Ed Parks of the fiero factory has a 4.9 kit comming out. A bit pricey but everything ever needed is included (minus engine and tranny). His is designed to use the caddy tranny and comes with an exhaust and everything would and does look oem. Its the way I am planning on going but your fabrication skills may be better than mine.
    1961 Ferrari 250 GT California. Less than 100 made. My father spent 3 yrs restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion, it is his life.<br />It's his fault he didn't lock the garage<br /><br />BobbyD

Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

$750 Can is OK for the engine, just be sure you get all necessary wiring harness,ECM etc.
    I bought a damaged 93 Deville complete just be sure I had it all. A top mechanic studied the Caddy wiring before he removed the engine, then was able to adapt it to the Fiero wiring. [no wiring kit needed] We used the complete 4 speed Caddy transaxel and cradle.
    Just finished installing it all in a stretched Fiero chassis that is waiting for a Ferrari Koenig re-body. I have pics in a new digital camera, just need help to get them into computer and posted. Later
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Well I finally decided on the 4.9 for my powerplant. I bought the engine and as much accessories as I could, I got it from a 93 Deville.

Thanks again for all the help
    Trevor,

Congrats, Lamboman. That is exactly what I used, with Caddy 4-speed auto. Just had her for a drive yesterday. Lots of torque but runs out of steam about 70 mph. Couldn't go any farther or faster as I don't have a body on it yet. [I live in the country - no cops]
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !