Thread: Oh the pain!

Oh the pain!

Well, I spent a few hours today cutting aluminum and converting it into brackets to hold the body out... and I'm done! My triceps are aching now due to all of the cutting with my good ol' hacksaw (My tool budget is basically depleted).

My problem now is getting everything to stay where its supposed to: I align all the body panels, bolt them to the brackets, but the brackets seem to have a little give which results in the body panels not lineing up perfectly. Oh well, its a start at least. Any hits on this?

Pictures to come later today.
    Ari

Re: Oh the pain!

I don't know what your brackets look like ? or hoow big the are but you can reenforce them by screwing another piece of aluminum to the part that is bending
    Of course this is without seeing the bracket
    www.xvelocity.com

Here come the photos!
    This is the bracket I used on the front fender of the car - the doors can fully open still:

Here's a picture of the rear bracket, to keep the rear wheel well out (Photo taken through gask tank hole)

Here's how the body lines up as of right now:

Here are my new wheels!

Ari .. I think you are spinning your wheels .. these should
    be 1/2 square tubing brackets .. welded to some 1"x1/8" straps that get fiberglassed onto the body. You'll find
    out later that the flexing will wreck your paint job. Better
    to do it right now than to pay for it later..
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

The kit came with the metal which I used for the bracket, and a sample bracket to demonstrate how it should be done...

But then again a lot of the stuff I was told about my kit is a lie...

I'm thinking what I will do for now is continue using the brackets I have made to line up the body correctly, and then weld/glass in more re-enforcements later on when I Have access to a welder and someone who knows how to weld!

That aluminum looks pretty thin and look like it's got to much spring in it
    If you go to Crappy Tire the sell aluminum l shape brackets by the lenght. The brackets about 1.5" x1.5" x (how ever long the piece is) Home Depot may also have this to.
    www.xvelocity.com