Thread: Are you happy with your Kit Car?

Are you happy with your Kit Car?

I figured since this is a general chat forum I would post a topic. So, my question is, for those of you have a kit or has had one, or trying to sell one, how did you, or do you like your car? was it everything you thought it was going to be? For those of you who have had kit cars would you do it all over again?

My other question is, with a Fiero or a tube chassis, building a lambo or some fast exotic, can you perform with it? can you race it on the street or take it to the drag strip? Or is it really just for show? Here's another thing I have thought of. Some kits are VERY expensive. Lets say $35 to over $100K... So if your looking to spend that kind of money, here is something to think about. A guy selling a Lambo kit for over $90K -$100K... A real Countach will run you any were from low $70K to $120K.... depends on the year, the miles and who is selling it. now of course, the high cost of maintenance is something to think about. but I mean, any one who will spend over a hundred grand on any car wont complain about the cost of maintenance I would think? What if you spend all that money on a kit and some kid with his Honda Accord blows you away? Or you can't break the tires loose because the fiero tyranny can't handle it?

If your looking for a cool exotic or a muscle car, here are some things to consider. Here in Canada a used Plymouth Prowler will cost you around $40K CND. $40 to $60K. A used Viper will run you $40 to $70 grand. A new SRT is over a hundred grand... You can buy a used C5 Corvette for as low as $26K I have seen... Even the new C6 used I've seen in the high $30's to low $40K range. Of course Corvettes are a dime a dozen... Hell in the states in the summer time every second car on the Interstate is a Corvette!

But you know what I like about building a Kit car? You can build it any way YOU want it. It doesn't have to be authentic! When I build mine, the dash is going to be different, the seats, the steering wheel all going to be different. I don't look at it as building a kit car but building a Hot Rod! I also think you take more pride in actually building something and thinking up different ideas to make it neater looking! You can spend a hell of a lot of money on a factory car and not like cretin things about it. maybe you think the wheels are ugly? Well you can spend a lot of money on wheels and tires... Any way, I'm just board and thought I would post this.

Re: Are you happy with your Kit Car?

you're looking at it in a simple way. these aren't just ego boosters, it's waaaaay too much money and work for such little reward. no doubt alot of replicas are halfassed so the owner can look rich at his reunion or whatever, but those are the ones that go for under $15k on ebay, not the quality cars that go $30k+

most people who spend $3000 on paint could care less about drag strips or tracks. someone who invests $4000 into a drivetrain wont be caring about a kid in a civic trying to race them. if they do, they spent way too much money and time on the wrong car. they should have gottan an Ariel Atom or Radical kit, and called it a day.

the expensive $50k+ replicas are literally brand new luxury cars that look great, so the price isnt pulled out of someone's rear end. at that price range, it's no longer a fiero with new seats, it's a new drivetrain, new body, redone chassis and suspension, new interior, and new wheels. basically the VIN is all thats left.
    also, they are fun to drive for the owners, and they dont need to worry about a $4000 electrical problem or a $12000 drivetrain failure. easy to maintain and cheap, this you know, but it's mostly a load off the owner's mind when they know they can afford to drive anywhere they want without having to worry.

you wont be driving the real countach or diablo or whatever to get groceries, it's 20 or 30 miles on it for nothing. when you start thinking like that, where's the fun of owning it? it's nice to know the replica isnt an original, but rather a simple car you know well.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Well, here is a thought.

My first kitcar was a 308, enjoyed that very much. After I sold that I bought an F40 with a 350 in it and truly enjoyed that. So then I sold that and figured, maybe I should go ahead and get something real like a porsche. Well, I ended up buying a Porsche 911 3.2 Slant nose convertible and put a Gemballa nose and a GT2 tail on it. The car is at my mechanics shop getting tuned and ready for the road again. After he releases the car I will send it to the body shop for some minor spot paint. Well anyways, 4 weeks ago I bought a Testarossa replica with a corvette engine. Go figure.

Anybody wants to buy a Porsche??

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Well, here is a thought.

My first kitcar was a 308, enjoyed that very much. After I sold that I bought an F40 with a 350 in it and truly enjoyed that. So then I sold that and figured, maybe I should go ahead and get something real like a porsche. Well, I ended up buying a Porsche 911 3.2 Slant nose convertible and put a Gemballa nose and a GT2 tail on it. The car is at my mechanics shop getting tuned and ready for the road again. After he releases the car I will send it to the body shop for some minor spot paint. Well anyways, 4 weeks ago I bought a Testarossa replica with a corvette engine. Go figure.

Anybody wants to buy a Porsche??

Rio.. I've got a slant Nose Porsche, Loved it when I drove, its high maintenace but fun. insurance was too high and really couldn't drive it too many places.. "super low" but I sure learned allot when I built my 355.. post a pic or email me if you would.. i'd love to see it..
    David
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Well I 'll add my thoughts. I currently have 7 no make that 8 Replica/ rebodies. None are tube frames. My favorite is my Testarossa and it was my first. It currently has a 4.9L Caddy motor and 4T60E transmission it looks similar to the Koenig version and has a 7" stretch. Just after I had the car 98% where I wanted it to be I was hit head on and the body and front suspension were in bad shape. After 6 months I have it back and got it to 99% for my likes. All but 2 of my rebodies are Fiero based some stretched all do not have stock engines or transmissions and most have suspension and brake upgrades. I love them all even my lowly 99 500SL Convertable on a Chrysler LeBaron chassis. My top 3 picks are the Testarossa with a 4.9L/4T60E, full Held Slalom suspension and 12" Corvette brakes, the second and I haven't taken delivery but I own it is an Aldino (looks similar to a Koenig 512BBi) it has a 3800SCII numerous modifications and a 4T65E it is Don Kraus's former car, this car may end up running a high 10 second quarter mile and can be driven daily it has won many shows in it's class, my 3rd and again I haven't taken delivery because it is under construction is an F40 with a Northstar and 4T80E transmission. This is a ground up rebuild of JR from Kitcarman.com's personal 40 with all the stuff he never did to it and always wanted to. From there my next two are really a dead even tie a very rare unique Mera (Bob Bracey's personal) with a Northstar/4T80E and Dave Held's 355 which is coming out of the paint/body shop this weekend. The 355 Berlinetta has a 3800SCII with a 4T65E transmission and all the Held suspension with 13" Corvette brakes and plenty of goodies. If those aren't enough I just bought IRM's 84 Fiero GT IMSA that has a Quad4 with a 4 speed automatic, not a kit car but still special and very unique. I have a great looking 308 with a 4.9L/4T60E going to Mark here on the board, I really wish I wasn't selling this one either but I just can't see having 2-308 style cars. As far as muscle cars and track cars I have some of them as well but they are not related to the topic, love them as well. I guess you could say I am very happy with Replicas, are there things I would like to change on any of the cars? Absolutely, actually there are things on all of them but thats what I like about this hobby, there is always room for improvement or change. Do I have a pile of money in all these cars? Yes! Could I recoupe it? No! Do I care? No! Does my wife care? maybe!
    Regards Bill

Over 4 year ago I bought a used corson 512BB built on a 1985 fiero. At the time, I knew a little about kitcars and nothing about fieros. If I ever do this again, I will bend over and let this entire forum kit my butt one-by-one. Let's just say that it has been a long, expensive and painful process. At this point, the entire car has been re-built and just about every nut and bolt has been replaced, right down to the door hinges. For the expense, I could have had a choice of a LOT of nice used cars - Los Angeles has a huge used car market. Right now, i'd rather have a late model Jag in my garage, but the corson has not yet been painted. If the paint turns out anything like the superb interior, maybe I'll be changing my mind but I will look Long and hard b4 for buying another used kitcar.