Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does an American learn hands on...

How does an American learn hands on...

as a hobby? There are some body panels I'd like to make as no one on the planet does. I've looked into tech schools and I have not seen a one that teaches anything about fiberglass. How does one get started when one lives in Tennessee (and not car crazy California) and there are no apparent opportunities?

Re: How does an American learn hands on...

Try an Internet search for fiberglass videos or Automotive Fiberglassing videos.Try diffrent varieations on your search words.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

there are several videos from select products and few others , N.A.M.E. makes afew. Dave "Fishman " Riviera has a few most all mentioned pertain mainly to car audio but you could adapt techniques... btw N.A.M.E. videos leave alot to wonder about not the best quality or most informative...
    1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
    1985 Fiero GT Northstar
    1985 Fiero GT 3800

Hey

I have the same interests but I also want to make a career of this with the education to back it up. I would give you the advice to go somewhere and get your degree in industial design or more specifically transportation design. That's what I am doing, this month I am moving to Socal and will start my trans design degree. Another thing is experiment and do some research. Not many people do what we are interested in, and I don't understand why, how hoard is it imagine cool cars and whant to make them wether for a company or yourself.

If you go to my thread on the fiero forum:
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058350.html
    You can see one of my recent projects. A one-off custom body on a fiero. I learned how to make plugs, molds, produce the parts finish prep, paint, all the mechanical stuff with my father.We made a project of it. The skills you learn by experience are priceless. I cover most of the build process and the how to's that you just asked.

Good Luck and hope you find the path.
    Alex

Try the Art Center of Design. IF you can get in, then graduate, you can write your own ticket with any company any where. They are noted for car designers. Located in Ca.. Here in southern Mi is the College of Creative Studies they produce more automotive designers!

Quote Originally Posted by XK120Replica
    Try the Art Center of Design. IF you can get in, then graduate, you can write your own ticket with any company any where.
    Thanks, but I was really asking as a hobby. I'm too invested in pursuing a Masters in education to start all over again. fieroGTRwidebody learned from his dad. Sadly, I didn't have that luxury. :-\

scourge since you didn't give a lot of info...I'll just ask. Are these custom panels or somthing that could be take from originals? Either of these require a slightly different approach in getting to the actual mold, but once at that stage it is the same. Are you talking complete body?

Take a look at this link. Not sports car but the process is detailed the best I have found on the net. http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page10.html

I live about three hrs from the guy that did this and have been in contact with him both email and ph. Nice guy.

I also do some foam carving but am booked for a while. My process is a little different in that the parts have to be machined in slices and then glued together to get the whole, but it does work. If it is something you would be interested in pm me.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    scourge since you didn't give a lot of info...I'll just ask. Are these custom panels or somthing that could be take from originals?
    Taken directly from the originals. I want the same look as stock, just less weight. Maybe when I got good enough at it, then I could add a ventillated hood.

Either of these require a slightly different approach in getting to the actual mold, but once at that stage it is the same. Are you talking complete body?
    Eventually, I would like to do a complete body, but one much crawl long before one can run. I don't want to get in over my head too early.

Take a look at this link. Not sports car but the process is detailed the best I have found on the net. http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page10.html

I live about three hrs from the guy that did this and have been in contact with him both email and ph. Nice guy.
    Is he in Tennessee, nothern Alabama, northern Georgia by any chance? The Net is great but nothing beats hands on.

I also do some foam carving but am booked for a while. My process is a little different in that the parts have to be machined in slices and then glued together to get the whole, but it does work. If it is something you would be interested in pm me.
    Eventually. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by XK120Replica
    Try the Art Center of Design. IF you can get in, then graduate, you can write your own ticket with any company any where. They are noted for car designers. Located in Ca.. Here in southern Mi is the College of Creative Studies they produce more automotive designers!
    In terms of an education, it's one of the only schools in the world that properly educates people for that field. Expensive though, and there's about 10 to 30 graduates a year, and only 2-3 new jobs in the world each year (according to the BMW design department heads).
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

scourge sorry to be so long in answering you. If you just want to replicat existing parts your job is half done........we 25% anyway. The guy in the link I posted is in Eastern Oklahoma. What he did, is exactly the process you would use to make your parts.

Mike