Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody give me advice on making moulds

Can somebody give me advice on making moulds

Hi everyone i have been given a ferrari kit and i was interested in making some kits from it, but i have very little knowledge in how to go about this so could anyone help advise me on what to use and the best way to go about this many thanks

Re: Can somebody give me advice on making moulds

I would try to actually assemble a car from your kit and get all the panels lined up, adjusted and blocked out ready for paint first. Then you can dissasemble it and make the molds. Most of the fiberglass kits out there are crap and not worth the cost of materials because they can't actually be put together into anything that resembles the intended car without tons of rework.
    If you did that you would set your kit apart from most of the junk out there.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

FerrariFan,

You say most are crap. My question is why? I am not really interested in building a Ferrari clone but have heard and seem to understand that it takes just as much time to build a bad car as it does to build an accurate one. Are they making these just by their eye and so it is off visually? Do they have so much time in it though that to try and correct it would take too long so they say "why bother, it is close"? This all seems very strange why they couldn't make an accurate kit. I have read some about the Ferrari lawsuits and that the cars can not be made from actual body pieces that were cloned. Perhaps this is the reason.

To me a big problem is the time it takes before these kits get to market. The diablo has been gone for many years now and the kits are still crap, same with an outdated 355. I love the look of the F430 but at the rate the industry has been it will be 4-5 years after the replacement model comes out before there is a car with somewhat accurate resemblance.

I guess I am wanted something drivable while the current model is still hot.

James

You are correct about Ferrari going after the manufacturers of replica Ferraris...That's one reason why there's no correct 360 kits in the market (except for the UK guys) and no 430 kit yet....People are affraid that Ferrari will come after then with lawsuits and shut down their product, as soon as their kit is out. And all the existing older 308 kits are NOT an exact copy of the real 308 but a close replica (ie MERA inspired cars). Besides those 308 cars are over 20-years old designs by now and Ferrari really doesn't care....The Lamnbo people don't care as much for copyright issues and lawsuits but as you might know the Lambo kits are very difficult to build as compared to the Ferrari kits.

The other problem is the in order to make CORRECT mold of an exotic - say a 430 - you need to have the actual car present so you can accurately replicate the panels, dimmensions etc....Yes, there are ways to make copies without having the car present but in most cases it takes forever and it's a guessing game...That's the reason why it takes so long to reproduce something if you don't have the actual product to work with. I'm guessing it's very rare that an owner of a 430 will allow molds to be made off his car - a better if not cheaper solution is to find a wrecked 430 and take molds (copies) of that car....That's how some builders have been successful in replicating correct panels to make molds.

So to answer your question as to why it takes so long to bring a new replica to market is because of the reasons outlined above - the legal issues with car manufacturers and the lack of having the actual product to work with....You can always dismiss the first one if you have a buddy with an exotic car who's willing to let you make molds off that car....Then you can build a exotic replica in your garage in your spare time and do it right. But the minute you try to market (sell) your molds to others then beware of the coorporate lawyers.

Good luck - VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

^^^This begs the question as to why CAD is not more prevelent in the replicar industry. This is the 21st Century and the technology is available. To do things right without having an actual car to make a mold on, I cannot see any other way but to have CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99
    Then you can build a exotic replica in your garage in your spare time and do it right. But the minute you try to market (sell) your molds to others then beware of the coorporate lawyers.

Good luck - VK
    So are you basically saying that I can build just about anything as long as I don't try to sell it? An inspired design I assume is ok even if you try to sell it but, an almost direct copy is ok also as long as it is just for you and your enjoyment? I'm hoping that is what you are saying cuz then maybe dreams can come true........one day ;D

More or less, yes.
    We have a member in a legal spat with Ferrari after they tried to sue for making an Enzo. Turns out it wasn't a direct copy so he's countersuing.
    I come to you with only &quot;KARATE&quot; - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - &quot;KARATE&quot; - my empty hands.<br />- Ed Parker, 1957

Quote Originally Posted by 007

So are you basically saying that I can build just about anything as long as I don't try to sell it? An inspired design I assume is ok even if you try to sell it but, an almost direct copy is ok also as long as it is just for you and your enjoyment? I'm hoping that is what you are saying cuz then maybe dreams can come true........one day ;D
    Absolutely you can build your own EXACT replica in your back yard and drive the car for your OWN enjoyment....No one can touch you.....Ferrari doen't care if you build your own copy of their cars - if you can do it without trying to sell then more power to you...The problem and the legal issues start when you market their copyrighted products for profit....They don't like that.

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    ^^^This begs the question as to why CAD is not more prevelent in the replicar industry. This is the 21st Century and the technology is available. To do things right without having an actual car to make a mold on, I cannot see any other way but to have CAD.
    Cad models can look good, but to create the model in full detail in CAD & then successfully & accurately translate that into a set of moulds would cost a fortune. I looked at getting a gallardo laser scanned then doing the same to the donor car. Then the fitting onto the donor could be done digitally & female moulds cnc machined out ready to produce panels.

The costs inolved are unbelievably high & the outcome is reliant on having good cad people working for you.

A far cheaper solution & less risky for the outlay is to buy a real one, mould from it, budjet for a respray(worst case) then sell it on. CAD is amazing for set curves & straight lines, the cars we like have far too many curves for cad to be a viable cost effective option.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk
    Hi everyone i have been given a ferrari kit and i was interested in making some kits from it, but i have very little knowledge in how to go about this so could anyone help advise me on what to use and the best way to go about this many thanks
    so you have somone else's work and you want to copy it?