Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so rare for kit-car companies to design like this?

Why is it so rare for kit-car companies to design like this?

Laraki Automobiles from Morocco.

the Borac:

the Fulgura:

When Moroccans have more creative and sexy designs, it's not saying much for our abilities here in the US.

Re: Why is it so rare for kit-car companies to design like this?

And there is also Farboud Automobiles by an Iranian.....IRANIAN!

All three cars are light years ahead of anything currently marketed in the US, including the GTM, the nearest thing we have.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    And there is also Farboud Automobiles by an Iranian.....IRANIAN!

All three cars are light years ahead of anything currently marketed in the US, including the GTM, the nearest thing we have.
    Farboud is out of business.. sold off their few body anels on eBay.. They never delivered a single car.

Do you actually believe that a company from Morocco will produce, market and sell ANY cars, especially exotics??

Morocco does not exactly have a booming ecomomy or the manufacturing technology as been on of the POOREST African nations....One of their biggest sources of revenue is their production and export of.....marijuana!

The last time I was there (about 10 years ago) it was filthy, hot, and dusty.....there were people begging for food in the streets of Rabat...hardly a place to produce exotic cars!

VK

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Bobi1

Nothing special by me... Laraki = Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maseratti/AUDI/Bentley/Mazda RX8 rip-off
    Look at their old models, too. They use too much another's designs. Disgrace ???

As for the Farboud - as I know they are (was?) located in the UK :

Bobi1

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99
    Do you actually believe that a company from Morocco will produce, market and sell ANY cars, especially exotics??

Morocco does not exactly have a booming ecomomy or the manufacturing technology as been on of the POOREST African nations....One of their biggest sources of revenue is their production and export of.....marijuana!

The last time I was there (about 10 years ago) it was filthy, hot, and dusty.....there were people begging for food in the streets of Rabat...hardly a place to produce exotic cars!

VK

goyal99, the production of exotic cars and the economy are 2 different things. Laraki's owner is one of the biggest luxury yacht builder in the World! But even that can't be the factor for the quality of the cars or their design. You know that even an unassisted skilled man or small team with enough money (more than $30K) can produce exotic car(s). The biggest challenge is the finishing quality and the design.

goyal99You know that even an unassisted skilled man or small team with enough money (more than $30K) can produce exotic car(s). The biggest challenge is the finishing quality and the design.
    May I ask you or anyone out there with the knowledge a couple of questions? I noticed in the other couple threads that you do 3D design. I am totally clueless to this entire process but am serious about having a car created in 2007. I'm sure that has been said before but I have a goal of at least beginning this process as soon as possible in 2007. Maybe mid year. I however would like to have the plans to do what I'm proposing a bit earlier in the year. Without taking alot of your time, could you explain the basics of the process to me? I saw that NSX to "F50" conversion and saw the awesome and fascinating build that Powerhouse has on his site http://www.powerhousesports.net/lamb...dave/index.htm. I am assuming that to get to that point you
    1) Settle on a chassis----a current car or a custom chassis or one from companies like Factory Five. I was thinking of a Fiero stretched for a longer wheelbase and also (not sure how) increase cockpit leg room by maybe 12 inches. I have NO clue what to do with step 1 ;D
    2) Make the body-----I assume this is where 3D comes in but how do you get from http://www.kitcentral.com/albums/album266/plan22.gif to a body? I assume those wood formers are called cross sections. How do you get that to line up, fit the chassis/body you have selected?

Does any of this make any sense? LOL

Thank you in advance

Bobi1

Quote Originally Posted by trevorc

Farboud is out of business.. sold off their few body anels on eBay.. They never delivered a single car.

Let's download some pictures and movies then ;D

http://www.farboudsportscars.com/downloads/index.htm

Bobi1

Quote Originally Posted by 007

goyal99You know that even an unassisted skilled man or small team with enough money (more than $30K) can produce exotic car(s). The biggest challenge is the finishing quality and the design.
    May I ask you or anyone out there with the knowledge a couple of questions? I noticed in the other couple threads that you do 3D design. I am totally clueless to this entire process but am serious about having a car created in 2007. I'm sure that has been said before but I have a goal of at least beginning this process as soon as possible in 2007. Maybe mid year. I however would like to have the plans to do what I'm proposing a bit earlier in the year. Without taking alot of your time, could you explain the basics of the process to me? I saw that NSX to "F50" conversion and saw the awesome and fascinating build that Powerhouse has on his site http://www.powerhousesports.net/lamb...dave/index.htm. I am assuming that to get to that point you
    1) Settle on a chassis----a current car or a custom chassis or one from companies like Factory Five. I was thinking of a Fiero stretched for a longer wheelbase and also (not sure how) increase cockpit leg room by maybe 12 inches. I have NO clue what to do with step 1 ;D
    2) Make the body-----I assume this is where 3D comes in but how do you get from http://www.kitcentral.com/albums/album266/plan22.gif to a body? I assume those wood formers are called cross sections. How do you get that to line up, fit the chassis/body you have selected?

Does any of this make any sense? LOL

Thank you in advance

1. DO NOT USE FIERO'S CHASSIS My first project was based on Fiero and I can say that if you have a Fiero, you have tons of (present and future) problems! And tons of trown $$$ for the restoration...
    GTM's chassis sounds good but if you want something different than a Corvette-looking car you must replace the rollbar tubes (A- and B-pillars). The problem with the GTM's chassis is that its cockpit is VEEEEEEEERY tight. But of you are not very skilled and you look for something almost ready for body panels this is the right way.
    If you want total freedom you may use a custom made chassis.

2. For the wooden/foam plug you can use slice plans (cross sections) taken from a 3D model. Then you must trace the slice plans over wooden planes. You have to build the wooden cell using the same wooden planes. Then you must fill the wooden cell with HARD FOAM (NOT liquid foam). When you sculpt the body you have to preserve the foam with very thin layer of epoxy resin (this will make the foam surface harder, too), and fill in the small holes with car bondo, and grind the surface. Then you must add 1 layer of black car paint and then another thin layer of car bondo. Grind the surface again and paint the body again (every time use DIFFERENT color - this will help you to see where you must add more car bondo).

Quote Originally Posted by trevorc
    That does not matter and that is not the point. It's about the design being mush more creative and overall superior to anything coming out of woodsheds in the US. There is no question that the costs of producing these cars as actual cars would be very high, but would be much less with creative construction to go along with creative designs.

I could also have added ASCARI to this list as well to point out how design has evolved light years ahead of American thought. There is the very long threa about how the kit-car business is dying and I'd say it boils down to an overall lack of creativity on many fronts. The Fulgura is a stunning car, and even if you don't like it, you have to admit that it does have a much more sophisticated design than the GTM.