Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kit(s) for us big guys?

what kit(s) for us big guys?

hey everybody, i'm obviously new to this forum, but i've been wanting to build a vehicle of some kind ever since i was a kid... i've been over just about all of the possibilitiess, imports (hondas and stuff) muscle cars, mudding trucks, rally, street trucks, ya de da... actual cars, kit cars, barstool racers, high performance golf-carts.... i could keep going, but i think you understand what i mean.... anyway, currently, i'm back at kitcars... the only problem is that just about everything that i've found so far is either built for smaller people, or i just don't like the kit... i'm 6'3-6'4 and a little on the hefty side, so obviously a VW based kit isn't for me... i mean, yeah, i can fit in a vee-dub, but i would also look like a clown in the tiny cars, or like you see in the cartoons, 10 british policemen bailing out of a mini cooper.... there are 2 kits that i like, the kreative rodwerks' 39 studebaker truck, and betsy's rod and custom "48 SS-ten" both are based off of the s-10 pickup truck... i've seen several others, like a fullsize chevy-based hummer..... that's all fine and everything, but is there a sports car kit out there that i could comfortably drive in and not look like a clown, as i said earlier? well, now that i think about it, they make a gt-40 replica, but for my size, you gotta add that bubble to the top of the door to make more headroom... the GTM from factory five, but who the heck is gonna rip apart a corvette that new? and last time i checked, 97 vette's aren't readily available in junkyards.... how is the room inside the lambo diablo replicas? there is one other i saw a long time ago, a 55 chevy, but i can't remember where to buy it from.. but anyway, that is the gereral idea of what i'm looking for.. i dunno.. me living in the south, i may be better off with a truck kit of somekind...

Re: what kit(s) for us big guys?

I'm 6'2" and fit fine in my 308 replica. I have lost about 20lbs though since my surgery but now at 200lbs, I fit pretty good in the Fiero. I may be a bit more "squashed" as I put the weight back on. Who knows.

Mabye a Stretched car like a Diablo, older Lambo or Ferrari T/R may be better suited if you feel you need a bit more room but I think there may not be much of a difference in the actual driver compartment.

I've seen a few of those kits for Chevy pickups and blazers that make them look like "old" trucks, delivery trucks etc. Mabye one of those may appeal to you and "popping a v8" into them is a pretty straightforward swap.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Im over 300lbs and about 6ft tall and can fit in a fiero no problem and a real 308.

However a real Lamborghini is questionable because that thing is much smaller than a fieros cockpit. Its like the roofline is lower so i can just imagine what a replicar would be like. I Have seen a Countach Replica before in person and I can tell you that there no way anyone over 5,7 150lbs is gettin in without a fight. Lets see a Bradley GT is impossible to get into.

But if your looking to bring alone the living room id suggest any Hummer replica based on a Chevy SUV. There's also a Chevy Capracace based setside pickup truck that looks nice and those have plenty of room but I forgot its name but it looks pretty cool and tricked.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

capt.ginyu, you may have convinced me to go with a fiero based kit... i would have always thought that the fiero would be about the same as a v-dub as far as fitting and stuff... and i've seen a couple of kits that i actually like! i'd just have to find a fiero and see for myself... they're pretty rare around here... but if i do happen to find one, i'd eventually do a v8 swap... that other kit you were talking about is from www.superstepside.com... and that's what its called the "super stepside"... it looks more like a dodge viper/ pickup truck... the issuses i have with it, (call me too picky or OCD), but i don't like how the metal work around the windows and on top don't match the rest of the vehicle... if they were more rounded, i would reconsider... the same goes for the interior... it just doesn't match... what i do to replace that, is make a fiberglass supra-style wraparound dash (where the radio and ac controls are facing the driver), put a stickshift in there, and make a center console/armrest... unfortunately, my fiberglassing skills are nonexistent. i was going to do a custom dash in my old honda, but i only got as far as ripping out the old dash....

Well the good thing with kitcars are they aren't production which means you build it the way you want it to be. I have seen people drop the floor pans on there kits making more headroom and making it easer to drive. So its all up to you and heck depending on the bouget your on you might be able to get a custom tube chassis made for your needs. There are builders out there like North American Exotic replicars who do things like that so it all depends on what you want and what the wallet will handle.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

I'm 6'3", 200lbs, and fit into a Fiero rather nicely. Granted I more or less "fall" into the car and it feels odd not being able to move the seat back it's still a fun car and I don't have any clearence problems.

Drive a Fiero GT around a bit before deciding on going through the work of a V8 swap, these things are go-carts with a windscreen. Check PFF, you may find someone on there in your area who will let you ride in a 3800 S/S Fiero. I have one of those engines in my Daily Driver (Buick Riviera) and was in a Fiero with one, those things fly.

Capt,ginyu has a great point; it's your car, probably more than any other you'll own, so make it what you want.
    I come to you with only &quot;KARATE&quot; - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - &quot;KARATE&quot; - my empty hands.<br />- Ed Parker, 1957

Once in a while I'll see a kit on ebay thats a Corvett based Testarassa or a Camaro\Firebird Testarassa,then theres the older Daytona Spider (some correct me if Im wrong,about the name of that car,it's been a while since ive read any info on that).thats allso based on an Corvett (actually an older corvett,probubly a gas guzzler and would need an engine swap).Then theres the Porsch kits that turn an older 911 into a newer boxter.Theres something out there for ya.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Not to pull us off topic or anything, but I stumbbled accross a site that let you pick a donor car and see what kits were avaiable for it.
    Does anyone know where this is?
    I come to you with only &quot;KARATE&quot; - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - &quot;KARATE&quot; - my empty hands.<br />- Ed Parker, 1957

any_key, about that website, i've never heard of it, but that's would be really helpful to me!

i found a kit that was fairly interesting to me... its the jalepeno from www.pisafierohq.com.. it kind of goes against what most people would think about a kitcar... its a lifted off-road type car... well, that's what they say, i just say its a lifted car... its not even dune-buggy status... however, i still think it looks good, somewhat. very unique

ooh, i found another fiero kit that i absolutely love! the Finale from v8archie.com... it has a very strong camaro/rx7 look... i think it would look great with a blue/gray paint scheme, and the wraparound dash from pisafierohq.com