Thread: 308 fiero advice!

308 fiero advice!

To all, i just bought a 308 replica Fiero based. This is my first kit car but, i have had 4 fiero's since the mid 80's. the car is getting a great response to those who see it. people take pix of the car with cell phones they ask what year ferrari is it,i never thought an old 308 would get this kind of feed back. I put ferrari air horns in it when i honk at some one it's so loud people look like a deer cought in your head lights. i thought for sure people would ask is that a kit? not at all my problem. what is my problem is in the short time i have had the car because of how nice the kit is and the response it's been getting i may have to get rid of the car. I can't get a repair shop to work on it! not even the dealer will touch it. out of 5 smog shops only 1 would even smog it! i am being told by these shops two things. they don't want to or they don't work on fiero's or they say they can't work on it because it does not have the GM stock body on it. CHP gave it a clean bill to register it along with DMV i paid all the fees and tax on the car but it needs to pass smog but no one will work on it. fiero's never pass smog it's such a small thing but,has turned into a big problem any one have some advice for me? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 308 fiero advice!

cali smog check was supposed to be just for emissions but in reality covers stuff like engine modifications, and so on, but paint & body isnt one as far as I know... insurance? yes they care, but emissions should not matter given that the fiero guts are fairly unaltered.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Maybe the guys at IFG in Chino know a place that will work on it. They've been doing kits for a while. Phone (909) 597-4110 http://www.ifgonline.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kit512tr

................ I can't get a repair shop to work on it! not even the dealer will touch it. out of 5 smog shops only 1 would even smog it! i am being told by these shops two things. they don't want to or they don't work on fiero's or they say they can't work on it because it does not have the GM stock body on it. CHP gave it a clean bill to register it along with DMV i paid all the fees and tax on the car but it needs to pass smog but no one will work on it.
    I fail to understand what "not having a stock GM body" has to do with working on the mechanicals of the Fiero :

Unless I'm missing something here, does your Fiero-based-308 still have a stock GM V6 in it?? Does it still have the stock exhaust and cat?? If not then you might have a problem with emissions.....but if your ride still has the stock configuration then it should be no problem passing the smog....Maybe your cat needs changing or the O2 sensor....are all your emissions stuff still working on the car??

If your shop does not work on Fieros that's their problem....find a shop that does!! Fiero's are not different that any other car on the road and should be easier to troubleshoot and diagnose problems....Maybe the mechanics in your area can only diagnose computerized codes and they are affraid to get their hands greasy. I would look for an independed shop (stay away from the dealers) that specializes in American cars, preferrably older cars.

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Calif smog tests are No Small issue (as you're finding out) unless you plan to drive somewhere other than public highways. There should be no problem passing smog if the car is built and performing correctly. But you must obey the DMV rules, which basically say that the engine has to be stock or you need BAR stickers for each non-stock part. Even if the car blows clean, if the inspector sees something non-stock (or the "Check Engine" light comes on at ANY time during the test), You Fail.

A bigger problem here is how damn independant everyone is - it's no surprise that people will simply refuse to work on your car if they don't want to. There are Too Many people in this expensive state, so be prepared to be blown off by attitude often. Why does everyone think calif is so great ?! - i'm thinking it is Really stinks.

By the way, if you mention WHERE you are, maybe someone could recommend a place ...............

Thanks every one for your help and input! Your right! I live in Calif. and i contacted the (BAR). They recomended a shop just 5.0 miles from my home. the problems with the car was engine tampering! A lot of vacume lines were caped off,computer chip (not stock) low temp fan switch, and a few other things.The car was from Indiana so they just disconnected a crap load of stuff. This shop had NOOOOO problem with the 308 body they just saw the car as another GM car.infact all the machanics that work their sat around and took a closer look at the car they liked it. I will let you know how everything turned out when i get the car back.... Thanks............