Thread: LEGAL WORRIES

LEGAL WORRIES

Im not sure if this question has been addressed before, so pardon me if it has :. I was wondering if someone made an exact replica kitcar and added all the logos, decals,etc.., could a car company sue you? I stumbled across a site for the hyundai greenspeed gator and wanted one (here's the linkL: http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Hyundai-Gator.htm ), but this car is just a concept. If I was to construct one, could the car maker sue me? ???

Re: LEGAL WORRIES

As long as you are not producing/distributing them to sell you should be alright.

Black Ops

So if I make the Ferrari Rossa as is, as it is only a concept and not in production, Ferrari can not come a knocking on my door??.. If this is the case I will not change the car and make the kits as is..

Black Ops ???

you can make whatever you want for yourself and they can't or won't do anything. the problem is when you try to sell it (whether making many bodies or cars, or just selling your own personal car).
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Chamaco would be the best person qualified to speak on this as he has had to face Ferrari lawyers and won. There is a way to legally do what you're asking but you have to do it that right way to avoid legal troubles. Do a search for Chamaco + Ferrari to see what he says.

Building one for yourself is fine. Building many for resale is where you get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Ops
    So if I make the Ferrari Rossa as is, as it is only a concept and not in production, Ferrari can not come a knocking on my door??.. If this is the case I will not change the car and make the kits as is..

Black Ops ???

The above stmts are CORRECT....you can build a ENZO in your backyard if you wish and nobody, including Ferrari, would care.....Just don't try to sell copies of it....

But realistically speaking how many folks have actually BUILD ANYTHING, let along a copy of an exotic car from scratch?? An Enzo or perhaps a MacLaren F1 or a Carrera GT?? None that I know of.

There's a lot of "talk" from a few newcomers about building their next dream exotic in their garage on their spare time, but as is usually the case their dreams bite the dust when they realize the scope of such project. All of them give up when they realize the amont of time, skills, effort and MONEY it takes for even duplicate someone else's work.

But it's nice to have dreams though...
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Black Ops

After the crap I am seein here in Japan about kit cars ... stuff it, will just buy and Extreme 360... easier ....started up a company to build a car and all the trouble to get it on the road is not worth the money..

I had a dream until it was shot out of the water today... Knew it would cost a bit of money but did not know would cost so so much... I now take my hat off to the guys that have started up Kit Car companies and selling kits....

built a Westfield and Cobra when I was young as a hobby... and might just keep it as a hobby....as a business it is not worth the trouble well to me and my family anyways.

Black Ops

it is 3am here so going to bed