Thread: Just how did LaForza & Qvale get NHTSA approval?

Just how did LaForza & Qvale get NHTSA approval?

This question may or may not be germane to the issue of kit-cars, but perhaps it is. I am just curious how LaForza got approval for the SUV and Qvale got approval for their Mangusta. Both companies are and were small yet got approval to sell fully built cars. I have not found NHTSA crash data. I ask because some kit companies sell turn-key kits but not full cars.

Just something that I have wondered how some companies get around certain laws. I do not recall the name, but there is a small Czech company selling in very limited numbers their non-NHTSA compliant cars in the US and they got NHTSA waivers to do so. Why not American companies?

Re: Just how did LaForza & Qvale get NHTSA approval?

i know LaForza was imported in and converted using many US parts (ford engine), so it wasnt a production car being sold here in a normal dealership. i think qvale is also only being imported in small numbers, just like you can get a smart car here even though it's not DOT approved.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Bobi1

Originaly the name was DeTomaso Mangusta and after time it was sold to the US based "Qwale"

LaForza is based on the Italian Fiat Duna 4x4. It's the offroad version of Fiat Uno

Quote Originally Posted by 3D_ENGINEERING
    Originaly the name was DeTomaso Mangusta and after time it was sold to the US based "Qwale"
    All materials cite it as Qvale. Are you aware of how they got NHTSA exemptions?

Bobi1

Good point. Just made a write mistake

As I know when "DeTomaso" sold the rights of Mangusta to "Qvale" (to produce Mangusta under license), they had BIG legal action about the copyrights. The action was started at the end of 90's.

I owned a Qvale Mangusta...great car...actually quite well made.

Here is how they got US certification.

The major (initial) backing-financial-came from MG of England. Ford assisted with this, and supplied the drive train and other elements.

The cars were tested in the normal fashion, received certification, and were about to be imported into the US to what would be new MG dealerships.

MG then went (suddenly) belly-up....bankruptcy...recievership....but they are still out there.

Only about 260 Mangusta's were completed, but I am told (by the person involved with their importation), that parts for the completion of another 600 cars are still in Italy.

The Qvale family in California (either you know them or you don't, from Ferrari importation), then purchased the vehicles (in total), rebranded them with their own name, and began importation.

There are still some early reviews out there on the internet when they were MG Mangusta's.

The Qvale initially sold for $80K.
    I bought one new, off the boat from Italy, untitled, for $43K, pre-tax (this was a year after Qvale offered them for sale).

I was looking at some used Mangusta's before buying that one, and one guy wanted 60 grand for his.
    I told him I could buy one new for under 50. He laughed at me like I was crazy, and said his price was firm.
    I enjoyed sending him a picture of my new car.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMX
    i know LaForza was imported in and converted using many US parts (ford engine), so it wasnt a production car being sold here in a normal dealership. i think qvale is also only being imported in small numbers, just like you can get a smart car here even though it's not DOT approved.

The Smart Car is eligible to be imported according to the nhtsa .

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG010906.html

it's possible to import and get it legalized, but it's not a car you can directly import/sell. that's the difference i was trying to point out. just like the porsche 959, you can get it legalized (for alot of money) but you can't just import, put on the emissions stuff, and go to the DMV.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

you can if you are a reg. importer. as a reg importer you can make any modifications on your own. But I do see where you are coming from. The average individual cant just order up a smart from another country and get it on the road here