Thread: Cooling system questions

Cooling system questions

First Question:

Like a dummy, I nicked my aluminum radiator with a utility knife when I was cleaning away some crap on the edge. I poked a hole in the inner aluminum tubing and lost some fluid. The nick is tiny, maybe 3/16" long. Question now is: What's the easiest way to repair it? Will proper preparation prior to application of some JB Weld seal it up, or do I need to get it in for soldering?

Second question:

Has anyone ever heard of making a radiator hose coupler from PVC pipe? What I need to make is a coupler to join two 1.75" ID sections of rad hose that also has a 3/4" ID tube going in at an angle for the return from my heater. What happened is that I replaced my manual, belt-driven water pump with an electric one, and it doesn't have an inlet for the heater, just the rad line. What I want to do is plumb in the heater line to the main rad return to get my heater working again.

So... will plastic work, or should I go steel all the way? Reason I ask is that making a good one from plastic is easy and cheap for me. Metal will involve a long trip to the steel yard for the proper materials and then begging my brother-in-law for some welding time on his machine.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Bob
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

Re: Cooling system questions

When I am at the Knott's show I always see people using copper and conduit pipes with no spoken issues. Personally, I would not use plastic. Metal is less than $10 more, so why not?

I've used pieces of exhaust pipe before. No problems thus far. With the risk associated with overheating, I'd definitely go metal. Nothing worse than costing yourself hundreds by trying to save 10 or 20 bucks!

KitCar builder had a write up about using exhaust pipe for cooling lines. Very simple to do The tools can be rented for free from autozone, after cutting the welding is simple. Tom F

I have used copper in the past. They made radiators from the stuff in the old days (remember). I would also think you could use a hole saw to cut a tube into the existing pipe then have it welded. I have used plastic "T" pipes in my coolant lines as well. I have one in the radiator overflow right now. I am using it without any problems. I think it fits a Ford, purchased it from the local NAPA store for $2.10 US. So I think all of the options are valid.

Just another $.02 worth for you.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks for the heads-up on the exhaust pipe. I never thought of it. I think I have a couple of pieces in my garage. I'll see if its the right size.

What about the rad nick? Will the JB Weld hold? I've heard of people repairing small nicks with the stuff and having it last for years.
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BullRider
    First Question:

Like a dummy, I nicked my aluminum radiator with a utility knife when I was cleaning away some crap on the edge. I poked a hole in the inner aluminum tubing and lost some fluid. The nick is tiny, maybe 3/16" long. Question now is: What's the easiest way to repair it? Will proper preparation prior to application of some JB Weld seal it up, or do I need to get it in for soldering?

Second question:

Has anyone ever heard of making a radiator hose coupler from PVC pipe? What I need to make is a coupler to join two 1.75" ID sections of rad hose that also has a 3/4" ID tube going in at an angle for the return from my heater. What happened is that I replaced my manual, belt-driven water pump with an electric one, and it doesn't have an inlet for the heater, just the rad line. What I want to do is plumb in the heater line to the main rad return to get my heater working again.

So... will plastic work, or should I go steel all the way? Reason I ask is that making a good one from plastic is easy and cheap for me. Metal will involve a long trip to the steel yard for the proper materials and then begging my brother-in-law for some welding time on his machine.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Bob

Bob.. The nick in the rad can be fixed with an Epoxy called Metal Weld. Any auto parts shop will have it. I don't feel this is a permanent fix tho. having the alum area tig welded is best.

The coupler for the heater is exactly what you need. I am running a electric water pump and did the same thing. Using a section of exhaust tubing with a emission tube cut from the old exhaust I welded the 3/4" in for the heater core inlet /outlet and then spliced them in along the front frame rails. "this is the only way to have reliable heat when using the electric pump"

If you are not able to weld them or have them done, send them to me and I'll weld them for you. no charge. Best of luck!

David

Just smart enough to be very Dangerous