Thread: Photoshop or 3-D modelers--Help needed, Extreme's kit on a BMW X-3!?

Photoshop or 3-D modelers--Help needed, Extreme's kit on a BMW X-3!?

Okay, so I can't get the idea of an Italian-style SUV out of my mind. I'd like someone's help in Photoshoping an example/model.

What I'd like to do is attempt to mount parts of a 360 kit onto either a BMW X-3 or alternatively to either a 3 series sedan or sportwagon with the idea of building a 4-seater Ferrari-inspired car. Can somebody help me visualize my idea in photoshop or some other program?

I'm not looking at chopping the Bimmer to pieces. And oddly enough, the dimensions are very close (see below). Make no mistake--this won't be a 360 replica, but it might just be an awesome-looking SUV or sedan.

What I want to do is add the front fenders, headlights, and grill--probably with some ground effects for front bumper--of the 360 to the front of the car. Then adding the back "light panel," Ferrari lights, and the rear bumper fascia to the back of the car. I might then add some vents before or after the wheels, maybe a skirt the length of the car and/or lower the Bimmer.

Let me know if you can help out (and if you need me to provide some pics).

SAMPLE Dimensions:

Ferrari 360 BMW X-3 BMW 325 Peugot 406 (Extreme's donor)
    Length: 176.3 179 176.8 180.0
    Width: 75.7 73 69.3 69.6
    Wheelbase: 102.3 110 107.4 106.3
    Height: 46.6 66.0 53.6 55.5

Re: Photoshop or 3-D modelers--Help needed, Extreme's kit on a BMW X-3!?

Here's some more specs and pics of the X-3.  E-mail me at ramsruul@yahoo.com if you can help me Photoshop this design (or know someone who can).

http://www.ironmanarmory.com/merarra...i_techdata.jpg

http://www.ironmanarmory.com/merarra...432-18893P.jpg

Bump. C'mon. Anybody?

We need a sticky that says "EXTREMES KIT ONLY WORKS ON THIS CAR BECAUSE OF THESE REASONS" a mini-SUV doesnt even make sense, to fit the kit.

THE ONLY REASON THE PEUGEOT 406 FITS IS ENGINE LOCATION, EXACT WHEELBASE, SAME WINDSHEILD SHAPE AND SIMILAR ROOF LINE.

There needs to be and end to these ridiculous ideas that ANY CAR with the same wheelbase, height, and width would work.

-Rob

Who would chop up a $35k+ car for a kit that they could use a $4k on instead? with less work and probably faster (the v6)
    -Rob

I'm well aware Extreme's (or now DNA's) kits won't just slap on the X3, they're just the only viable ones out there (esp. when I originally posted this), so that's what I'd start with. With some work, I thought I might adapt their kits to another car--if only to use them as the basis for new panels that will work.

In my case, where I'm looking to trick out a fairly conservative, but cool car, I was thinking I might buy a few of the main components of the 360 kit--mainly the front fascia, headlights, fenders, and rear panels--and use them to craft a much sleeker Bimmer. I'm not trying to build a 360, but give the BMW some cooler styling.

There are no real body kits for BMW's beyond ground effects or hood scoops. What I want to do is make an X3 look even meaner. And honestly, more original. A kit doesn't always have to be an exact copy of something. What ever happened to just havin' a cool, original car? Anything wrong with that?

Also, $35K for an X3. I can pick up a used one in the low twenties. It'll have miles (still fewer than a Fiero, though) and the interior and mechanicals are still like new. No need for an interior kit, you know? And if I'm going to chop at the body, who cares if it's been in a wreck. That makes it priced in the teens. Regardless of whatever you think of my custom car idea, I'd rather start a kit on a newer, well-built car for $15K and put $10K into it, then buy a $1200 P.O.S. and drop $30K into it. That said, I love my Mera. I'd just like to have a stylin' custom ride when I have to take people around.