Thread: Couple Q's about importing Kit Car

Couple Q's about importing Kit Car

Hi guys. New to the forum. Did some search, but didn't find something right on my topic. The questions ??? are how hard is it to import a Kit Car? It would be dissasembled and without the engine/tranny. Is it better to import it as a parts, or as a complete Kit Car? It would be registered here in the US. Thanks for any help.

Re: Couple Q's about importing Kit Car

It's MUCH EASIER and cheaper to bring (import) kit parts into the USA than a finished vehicle (minus drivetrain)....The seller will have to package the parts in a large container and ship via Freight together with a Bill of sale....They should arrive at your door via FedEx or UPS or some other courier...

If you try to import a semi-finished replica into the USA then you need LOTS of paperwork and customs forms....The cost will be much higher...

A seller from Germany once gave a quote of $1,500 to ship a complete kit car (panels only) to the USA.....It would take a while but it's cheaper and easier to do it that way.

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Thanks for your reply goyal99. So let's say I would import all the panels, and the drive train separately (maybe as a second shipment), then put it all together and get an LS1 in it. This would be the easiest? I have a guy who would put it in a container and friends cousin would ship it (has his shipping company).

Thanks again,

V.

Bobi1

Would it be more expensive if the kit contains chassis, exterior, interior and glasses together? (NOT complete kit but simply mounted)

Quote Originally Posted by kornaz
    Hi guys. New to the forum. Did some search, but didn't find something right on my topic. The questions ??? are how hard is it to import a Kit Car? It would be dissasembled and without the engine/tranny.
    Any car imported without an engine or drive train can be imported as parts. That's the easy part. As the car is a kit-car to begin with, it will prove easy to get through Customs as it is not a car that requires a release bond (nor does a car 25-years ol or older).

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Quote Originally Posted by kornaz
    Hi guys. New to the forum. Did some search, but didn't find something right on my topic. The questions ??? are how hard is it to import a Kit Car? It would be dissasembled and without the engine/tranny.
    Any car imported without an engine or drive train can be imported as parts. That's the easy part. As the car is a kit-car to begin with, it will prove easy to get through Customs as it is not a car that requires a release bond (nor does a car 25-years ol or older).
    Yes I agree but, make sure all parts that might come from some other source are DOT aproved if importing into US. This even means partially or turnkey minus cars too. Some cars from Europe and other countries use EU aproved parts and these will be impounded if found. Believe me I've had it happen.

P

Non DOT JDM engines are imported into the US all of the time. Never known it to be any problem for any retailer selling non DOT engines like the SR20DET. ???

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Non DOT JDM engines are imported into the US all of the time. Never known it to be any problem for any retailer selling non DOT engines like the SR20DET. ???
    Engines are not safety issue parts. Brake lines, brakes, boosters, some glass, lights, belts, ect., they can even ask for data on wheels manufactured overseas.

P ;D