Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TIRE MOLDS

TIRE MOLDS

Hello all,

I was wondering is there anyone here that can make molds of car tires?? Mainly sizes 13-22 inchs?

MerC

Re: TIRE MOLDS

Merc, can I ask you why? ;D

Are you wanting to do dummies? If so I can get you in touch with a company that makes the materials for you to make your own molds.....if you so desire!

Mike

My question is why?If your looking for a exact replacement tire go to your locall Ferrari or Lambroghini dealer and wright down the brand name and dimensions or just get the same brand to fit your rim.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Turmite,

I have a tire formula and I want to produce my own special tire. So I want to make molds for the sizes I want to produce. I know someone overseas that can do it but as you know China is the knockoff capital of the world so im not feeling to comfortable with that idea.

MerC

...what hotrod designers and others in the high end market usually do is buy a racing slick(or maybe its a blank?) and the cut out the pattern with a special knife. saw it on overhaulin or rides...
    -Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Merc
    Turmite,

I have a tire formula and I want to produce my own special tire. So I want to make molds for the sizes I want to produce. I know someone overseas that can do it but as you know China is the knockoff capital of the world so im not feeling to comfortable with that idea.

MerC
    Just to confirm, you want to use your own rubber formula with a reputable manufacturers tread pattern? Is that what you mean?

I dont think that you will really be able to make a mould yourself (or get anyone to do it) that is going to be suitable to be used for manufacturing a tyre.

A few things I am just guessing a tyre manufacturer is going to need to specify
    - Where the mould split lines should be
    - Should the mould be reinforced
    - What material it should be made from (i.e. will it need to be heat resistant, resistant to cirtain rubber release chemicals etc)
    - How thick the mould should be
    - What tolerances will it need to be made to (a tyre needs to be perfectly round and well balanced remember!)
    - what release angle will the treads need to be at to release properly with your new rubber

etc etc. these are just examples of the real basic stuff

I dont know the first thing about tyre manufacture but I do know it is a serious buisiness that no amateur should even think about doing.

Can you not specify that you want say a Pirelli P-Zero Assymetrico pattern with your rubber? That way they could either go out & buy a tyre to mould to their spec or you could send them one. That way they are doing it themselves & taking the responsibility.

Quick qn though..... I dont mean to be offensive, but what makes you think you know more about rubber and tyre tread than all the tyre companies that spend millions on research?

Have you considered what may happen if your new all singing all dancing tyre blows out on the motorway flips the car & kills a bus load of children that it rolled infront of? Or in winter if the rubber doesnt grip properly & the car skids into oncoming traffic. Your going to need some serious R&D cash & safety testing cash (hundreds of thousands at least) before you can even think about ever getting it on the road. Not to mention some seriously good legal people!

My 2p's worth!

10/10 for enthusiasm, 1/10 for research!
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Merc if you are talking about producing tires for sale, then I would have to agree with Drew355. While I have not worked in a tire manufacturing plant, I have been in one, and I have known lots of people who have worked in them. This is not an area to tread (pun intended) ;D in. The heat and pressures to make a tire are not something you want to try at home. What I saw was a huge aluminum mold, that a worker would position pre-cut strips of rubber in, then that would sit down over something else and the process would begin. If you look at the inside of a tire you will see a texture. I am pretty sure that is from an inside part of the mold that I never saw!

Now with all that said, if you have tested that compound, and you know it works, patent the formula. If you are wanting these molds to be able to test the formula, I have no idea what to say to help you.

Mike

Drew 355 and Turmite,

I understand 1000% what you guys mean! What I have is a formula to produce colored tires! I Had some one off prototypes made for a HUGE basketball stars yellow Murci and they looked incredible!! But the company I had make the prototypes wanted to do business with me but they wanted to give me a -uck me in the -ss deal! So what I was looking to do is get some molds made of specific sizes. Once i got the molds made I know an HUGE over seas company that will produce the tires. This company is very very very reputable! I think once the tires came out it would be HUGE! So that's what Im looking to get molds made.

MerC

One of the reasons that tires are black is that they contain a material called "Carbon Black" which helps to dissipate heat away from the tread and extend tire life. Will colored tires stand up to hard use or are they more for show?

Unchained,

From the research that was done along with the formula i am going to use, yes they should stand up to hard use but you gotta figure most people that get them will get them for show.

MerC