Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a kit car be just as good as the real thing?

Can a kit car be just as good as the real thing?

Ok so hereís what I want to discuss with you guys. So, letís say you build your Ferrari, or your Lamborghini or what ever. Can it be just as good or even better then a real one? Handling wise, performance wise? I know we talked before on the topic of real Vs fake. But now Iím curious weather or not a Kit can be just as fast and handle just as well as a real one. I know there are things to take into consideration. How much money do you want to spend on the kit. Using a tube frame or a Doner. What kind of motor your using, suspension and so forth. What are your thoughts?

Re: Can a kit car be just as good as the real thing?

Sooooo.......... No one wants to comment on my post? I put a lot of hard work into it you know. :P

Black Ops

I have to say you can get a Kit Car to run and handle better then a production car..

Back home in OZ in the early "90s, I built a AC Cobra from G-Force in Perth Australia.. in the Cobra I had a 1993 Ford Falcon XR8 5 speed box and Falcon XR8 5.0l Push-rod V8, custom made suspension for nearly no body-roll.. 9 inch Diff. and custom exhaust system... the engine was blueprinted so you could put a bowl of Jelly on the car and it would not wobble....... the bytch purred like a kitten....

The Cobra out preformed my brother 1988 VL Commodore SS, the Cobra had better acceleration and handling then the Commodore, better cornering and off the mark my brother was left choking in burnt rubber!...

In regards to the a Lambo... the Mitsubishi EVO 9 out handles and has better performance then the Murcielago.. I posted a video link a while back of the EVO and the Murci going for it!

If you built a Murcie or even Diablo on a custom frame, keep the weight down to a min, I say drop in a LS7 Chevy with a ZF Gearbox.. I think it would out do the real deal....

Black Ops

That is something that I am interested in. My AD355 has Held suspension and a Northstar engine. I have PBJs turbo kit and a 4t65e hd transaxle to upgrade my car. I think that 500 hp is possible with reliability if I lower the compression and boost with 10 lbs and an intercooler. I also have 13 inch rotors. I plan to take it to Sears Point (Infineon) to take a class and see what it can do.

Dales Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 VT replica is a great testament to a replica being as great as the orginal.

The realitly is Lamborghini's aren't as fast as you think, I could take a C5 Corvette and with just exhaust, headders and maybe an aftermarket cam, I would be able to walk an orginal Diablo all day long. Hell there's even a Video of a stock C5 Corvette beating a Diablo 6.0. So just think, you could use an LS1 or LS6 motor and with just basic modifications, you could outrun the orginal.

So i mean its not impossible to make a clone thats better than the orginal but keep in mind if your going to do something like that its gonna break your wallet.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

Not to mention the fact that a replica will cost WAY less in the long run. $3000 servicing every few thousand miles eats at the wallet pretty fast. I'm pretty sure that just the oil filter for a Countach runs between $75 and $100. I'd be willing to bet that reliability is far better in the replicas as well.
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

i remember once, i read about the ariel atom kit car outperforming exotics.
    kit costs only 40 000 onwards?

if you type ariel atom in google, you will see it being compared to the enzo

http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/in...-Is-A-Car.html

so the bottom line is i'd say yes! a kit car can be as good or even better.

i think that the way of building a kitcar from scratch is simillar to building the first prototype of a supercar. So given the right expertise, components, facilities etc, i think it is definitely possible.

the Atom sports a supercharged (or is it a twin tubro?) honda civic engine with an exo-skeliton design and no windsheild.

...beats a $1.3m supercar.
    -Rob

Someone did an electric motor version of the Ariel Atom. Still smoked all the exotics.
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

What do you guys think would be the best motor to run? a LS motor or a 3800 supercharged or Turbo V6 done up to the hilt?