Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of motor do you think I should use?

What kind of motor do you think I should use?

what do you think would be the best engine set up to use? A 3800 Supercharge or a LS motor? What motor would you guys recomend?

Black Ops

Re: What kind of motor do you think I should use?

Vette, LS2 6.0l V8 Twin Turbo!

Black Ops

So many choices, it depends on budget & goal. I'm going to install a 3800sc because it's a relatively simple install, better fuel economy, and 120hp more over a wide powerband-great for everyday city driving.

Some one told me a 3800 supercharged will beat the LS. I would think after head porting, cam, power chip, headers and even NOS the 3800 would be a real screamer.

Lloyde of FastFieros mods 3800s to use his intercooler. I believe he said that setup can push a Fiero to low 12s in the 1/4 mile.

It really depends on what kind of platforum your using, if you go Fiero then use the 3.8, it would bolt right in and the mods would be easy to do and like someone said you can get it into the 12's. Its a great engine, I had one in my GrandPrix GT, it was very realiable and fast. I smoked a mildly moded Vtec while the 3.8 was bone stock. Also it cheaper and more effective.

However if your going Tube chassis, then I would say go with the LS1, LS2,LS6 or LS7 motor because it would be much easer to install in a tube chassis than a Fiero and to mod it wouldn't so difficult either. The chassis was also modeled after the orginal meaning it can handle highspeeds all day long and there wouldn't be any engineering req. But keep in mind the bigger the engine the more you pay.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

And the Grandprix is much bigger & heavier than the Fiero. Although, the newest high reving dohc v6 from GM would be interesting to see in a Fiero. The whine of those motors are amazing to hear.

the v6 in my dodge caravan is impressive too. I am considering using that engine in my build. 1999 dodge grand caravan...moves pretty fast. and its a very small engine with 180+ hp...
    -Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Amida
    And the Grandprix is much bigger & heavier than the Fiero. Although, the newest high reving dohc v6 from GM would be interesting to see in a Fiero. The whine of those motors are amazing to hear.
    Most people use the engine from the GrandPrix GT or GTP(Supercharged) which the engine itself is actually lighter than a Northstar V-8 and will make about the same power.

There's a Video over on streetfire.net of a 3.8 Fiero beating a Camaro SS. The good thing with using an engine like that is with an average driver, it will run 13's with no mods and street tires!, with a good driver it will be well into the 12's and with dragslicks they will run 11's! and keep in mind thats with just the GT engine just think if you used the GTP motor or mod it with something basic like a eaton supercharger.

I've heard of people using using a twin turbo setup in there GTP's and GT's and they are more than capable of a high 9 second pass and thats with full interior and no nitious and its streetlegal. Those engines are very simlar to the 2JZ engine from the Toyota Supra except they aren't turbo and they don't need 1000hp to be fast and best of all no nitious and you don't need to race from a roll like you would with a Supra.

Plus they are dirt cheap, easy to mod and to drop in a fiero or tube chassis, unfornately they are becoming harder to find as the years pass because not only are the Fiero and kitcar guys are using them but the S-10 guys recently started using them and well lets face it, there are modified S-10s on almost everystreet and some are packing a 3.8.
    So whats wrong with a replica?

"what do you think would be the best engine set up to use?"

That's easy - the bigeest one you can

Personally I really like the 3800 S/C (good power, driveability AND gas mileage) but if you're not worried about gas, axles and transmissions, go with a V-8. The V-8 has a LOT of power for these cars ....