Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stretching An MR2 Spyder

Re: Stretching An MR2 Spyder

The reason to stretch the chassis is to make the wheelbase of the car longer. I have studied numerous exotic cars and almost all of them have a longer wheelbase than the Spyder. I think that if it were about 5"-7" longer it would look sooo much better(even you guys taht want a Modena know that the wheelbase is longer than the MR2 Spyder). I am not sure about the handleing but would hope it would improve. I quess that being a unibody though it probably would not improve. I wonder how the Porsche Boxster is made: unibody? Mike Vetter has been stretching those with much luck. Of course I would like to try and designa a custom body kit for the car. The main problem is that I cannot find anyone that has the artistic skills to help put my ideas on paper. Powerhouse.. Can you do a photoshop for me of the car with a stretch of 7" just in front of the rear wheels? This would be awesome to see what kind of visual change this makes to the car. I have to believe it will be dramatic. I may have said it before, but I do not want to start with a chassis and try to build up a complete car. This seems like so much work.

Thanks,

James

well again, stretching will definitely not improve handling, but rather increase the flexing and shear making the car more wobbly and corner far worse. a stretched unibody car becomes a cruiser, fine in a straight line, but questionable in the bends. and when you have a 135hp car that is heavier and is only sporty going straight, you lose the whole point of the MR2.

i'm not sure you realize the biggest problem with MR2 as a donor for a kit car, it's the width. Extreme sure found that out, same with steve at TG when he did the old 360 kit. the MR2 spyder is missing something like 20+ inches in width compared to most exotic sports cars, including the 360, and spacers+really deep wheels can only do so much. you'll have little to no ability to steer with huge wheels up front, and the whole car will be resting on the spacers and lug nuts and not the wheel and hub evenly.

i have an older MR2, and i know the spyder in terms of construction, just trying to save you some headache.

look at the chassis, you'll see it's far from square tubes like a fiero, and there's no spot where you can just cut straight across. i can't see how relocating the engine would work either.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I would not suggest you stretch the MR2 Spyder. Whilst I was building my IRA, I had a chat with another IRA builder who tried to stretch the MR2. It is really not possible as he had to write off the car. He had experience in stretching Fierro's.

The main reason is because the MR2 body is one body, it has no segments. What makes it more difficult is that the engine is situated where you want to stretch it, plust you will need many adjustments, including the gearbox.

My conclusion is that, you rather take the advice of a fellow forum member here and purchase a tube chassis and move everything over. That will be much easier and safer job than stretching the MR2.

I noticed that the Boxter is a mid-engine w/ longitudinal layout. I wonder if the Lambo guys are using that tranny instead of the 911 which has to have the diff. gear flipped?

this has been done beforin japan i think.i've seen the pics with the car in a lift.dont know what the project was.just know its been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglikeprince
    Here it is http://www.rabbit-car.jp/news.html
    is a Zonda inspired rebody

That is a MR2 mk II not the Spyder. The Mk II is 14 years old in this country. Not exactly the best donor for a modern car.

James

I agree. Don't stretch a unibody. You won't be satisfied with the performance and handling afterwards. It is like painting a car with rattle can spray paint. In theory it could work but 99% chance it won't work good.
    Scott