Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber thermoplastic kits?

Carbon fiber thermoplastic kits?

The ultra-light-weight bodies made from these exotic materials would save a $$$bundle on shipping the kits, all over the world. Corner the market? Before China does....

Gurit Composite in Wattwil Switzerland can supply the raw resin and fiber. Just think ...stamping carbonfiber thermoplastic blanks; formed then pressed, trimmed and walla! kit car bodies and pannels flying off the assembly line in mass production......

www.fiberforge.com ..is hiring!!! They were at the SEMA trade show 31st of Oct. -Nov. 3rd. did anyone go???

Re: Carbon fiber thermoplastic kits?

you save maybe $200 on shipping while spending about $5000 more on carbon fiber if you can even find that much. everyone wants cf over fiberglass, but theres just not enough CF to make it affordable in any way.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

According to Amory Lovins at rocky mountain institute in colorado, there is a giant difference in weight and of course strenght, in using carbon fiber thermoplast; he is also building a fuel-cell hyper car, ultra light weight by making his fuel-cell a third the size of current designs, and a smaller car, getting gas mileages around 114 per. Even in the kit car body, the lighter the body, the smaller the motor, the better handling, and faster the 0-60 times. If your going to spend 50K on a kit, an extra 5K is really nothing. But a body that wont wear out, survive most crashes, and make a good mold if you have to make something new, well worth the extra pennies. His modle even has the frame made of the same lightweight material. Lovins is a smart guy with the future industrial revolution in clear sight.

Get a real quote on the cost. I bet it is much much more.
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

Very interesting process. I wonder if the setup cost, ie design, engineering, tooling etc., will just be too great of a burden for most small scale kit providers.

Rob
    FieroInteriorConversions
    Seattle, WA. USA

While I know composites well this is not my area of expertise. But I believe this process requires heated metal (zinc rich alloy) male and female dies. You could be looking at set-up cost in the $20-$30k per panel.

Is this the same thing as pre-preg? If so I had a company in Cali. quote a mold for me on another product, not car related and it was to be made from aluminum. It had heating and cooling lines just like an injection mold. Just to give you an idea on cost, this was for a competition rifle stock 32 in. long and the would require about 1/3 yd of material per layer. Mold cost was $20,000 and that was almost 6 yrs ago now. I can't imagine what the molds would cost to do a car!!

Mike

Mike,

It is similar but a it is in the SMC family. SMC is sheet molded plastics like the ones used on todays corvettes and quite a few other body parts. SMC in these parts are not high strength/quality. They are generally resin rich because resin is cheaper than fiber (in their market, not necessarily ours). Now by using the same technology but switching to heat set epoxy and carbon fiber, you can create composite products and even structural components but the cost of tooling is out of this world. Amagine for the sake of agrument $20k per set of molds per part. Inner and outerdoor, inner and outer hood and rear deck, rocker panels, front bumper, rear bumper. If we stopped there, $200K. for the tooling. It would create an awesome product but it is out of reach for me considering what can be accomplished with a vacuum bagged carbon fiber lay-up.

$200k is quite a layout for a small scale shop, and that's probably a very conservative figure as well. On a similar note, there's a company in Washington state, USA that produces 50's Vette bodys for the C5, I do not remember the name, but the design & tooling was pretty hi-tech involving cad/cam etc., the owner had some connection with Boeing Aircraft. The bodies are constructed of some kind of sandwich material, I believe epoxy based. The end product is pretty amazing, and I'm sure the initial investment was substantial.

Quality costs money. But then again, quality can bring about a high reputation quickly and thus more sales.