Thread: Making Fiberglass Molds?

Making Fiberglass Molds?

Anybody here have any tutorials on how to go about making Fiberglass Molds?
    Thanks
    Ari

Re: Making Fiberglass Molds?

there is a ton of informtion on fiberglass and mold making at this site. There are a couple of videos and books for sale as well as tech information page. www.fiberglast.com. I am in the process of making new testarossa and 512 molds, from the old ones.

Very cool - have you ever made fiberglass molds before or is this your first attempt?

I also found these links on the net:
    http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page10.html
    http://www.cstsales.com/fiberg0.htm

Any other links?

I met a local guy that , is retired from the fiberglass business, he was a life time of knowledge. He will be teaching me, as we go thru the process. The most expensive part of the process is the gelcoat, for a really quality mold and one you plan on using for muliple parts must be made with tooling gelcoat. Also you should use a good quaility resin. the mold should be three to four times thicker than the part you make from it. I plan on buying the five-set tape on fiberglass and mold makeing from the fiberglast website, just to have all of extra help from different sources as possible. What type of molds are you planning to make. i will probly make several bodies from the molds then sell them , as well as a few complete cars, just to help the cost of the mold making process.i really like the testarossa style cars, and there are not very many people that make them anymore. i could always trade a body to someone else for a different style body or another make of kitcar. i don't plan on making this a job, just a way of supporting my love of kitcars. i fell in love with the idea of kitcars at early age, my uncle and his friend built a manta montage, based from a volks-wagon. it was in one of the kitcar magazines several years ago, from that time on i wanted a kitcar. if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

I was thinking of making a new fiberglass bumper... thought I'd start with doing some small interior stuff first though (Speaker boxes, maybe door panels ultimately...)

i was looking through sum of my information website links and found this one. www.cstsales.com. Go to the how to articles. there are several how to guides on fiberglass, one on how to build molds, and one on how to fiberglass parts. Hope this helps

Thanks Beerman, I'll check it out.

Ari: Been doing it for 20 years. It's easy. Hopefully the websites mentioned will be inform you, plus they might be more up to date than I. If not feel free to ask.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !