Thread: Whom all has done the cradle stretch?

Whom all has done the cradle stretch?

Hi all,

If you've done this to stretch on your 355, do you have any pics of how much room there is between your engine and the firewall?
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Re: Whom all has done the cradle stretch?

Check out the FunnyWheels thread. I posted photos in it with atep by step instructions. It will provide an additional 2 7/8 inches between the firewall and the engine since the engine was moved back the same amount. When you do the stretch as mentioned you actually add a longer frame horn to the end of the cradle. In addition, I used Held coil over shocks to gain clearance to move the shock back the same amount.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

HI all,

Thanx for the photo and the info funnywheels!! 2 and 7/8 inches, COOL!! Now to ask the guys over at pennocks how much room this actually is, for behind the seats subwoofers......hehe.....
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Pavo,
    If you move the engine back to gain that 2 7/8", you really don't gain anything for mounting subwoofers. If you look at the bottom of the firewall from the engine side, there is a beam that goes side to side. The fuel lines run in there. The space between that beam and the firewall is where people would normally put the subwoofer cone when recessing it from the passenger compartment. If you go higher than the beam, then all you have is that 2 7/8" and some thin sheet metal. The cone would be sticking out in the engine compartment.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Hi all,

There has to be someway to protect the magnet from getting hot??

I know they are not killer subs but have you considered using the Clarion sell contained units? No modifications are needed and you could use one behind each seat. I am using them in most of my cars and they are excellent in that they sound great for a self contained 7" 100 watt woofer and 2 would be even better 1 behind each seat and they don't limit the seats travel. Just a thought before you start major surgery on the firewall structure. I am pretty sure Mark, Mr. Ferrari has one in the 308 he purchased from me. You could ask his opinion as well. Regards. Bill

Remember that a Fiero is a small area. The last thing that you want to do is blow out your ear drums. Do some searches for big stereos in small pick up cabs and see what you can find. The easiest way to get more base into a Fiero is with one of the center area sub enclosure. My plan is for a 8" sub in a custom enclosure in the passenger side dash.

Oh, and there is that thing about fiberglass cars being loud. I am going to use a lot of sound deadening material on my car and it is still going to have fiberglass creaking. I just know it. What this means to me, is to not put a lot of money into a stereo. Once you are driving, you are not going to be able to tell the difference between a set of $400 Boston Acoustics and a $100 set of MA Audio speakers.

My favorite quote about radios in sports cars:
    "Radios are for people with mufflers"