Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive/Nice Kit Car

Inexpensive/Nice Kit Car

Hi my name is DJ. I'm a sophomore in High School and I'm interested in building a kit car. In May I'll get my permit and by summer I'll have my license. I'm going to need a car to get from place to place. Alot of my friends spend alot of money on lemons. I was thinking about just waiting for a good deal to come my way, but then I read about kit cars.

Kit cars are interesting because the can be less expensive than some cars. They also model some of the best cars ever built. And to the average person, there really isn't a difference between a kit and the real thing.

I was looking at kit cars on ebay and they ranged from $5,000 - $30,000. I would personally like to build it myself. I have the help of my Dad and friends. But I also would buy a kit that was started and do the finishing stages.

I like the Lamborghini's the most. But right now I can't spend $10,000 on a kit. Are there any inexpensive Lambo kits?

I read that to build the Lamborghini you first need to start with an '88 Pontiac Fiero chassis. You have to widen it a little and then you can go onto building the Lambo body on it/engine.

I would love to have the car sound like a lamborghini. I know there are some pretty nice sounding exhausts, but I also thought about buying a VERY old lambo engine. I was going to bring it into my tech class and we could work on it. And hopefully make it run.

I've been looking at some inexpensive kits. The BMW Z3 is about $3,000. Along with the '97 Mazda its $800.

I'm interested in a good quality yet inexpensive kit that I can work on with my Dad.

Re: Inexpensive/Nice Kit Car

good luck with the "old lamborghini engine" part of your dream... but thats not gonna happen.

look foward to spending atleast 20k for an authentic engine, and finding a transmission to adapt to it. along with maintenance.... if you're trying to do this somewhat cheap, you should use a 3800 v6, in a fiero. you dont widen the fiero, you stretch its chassis which needs to be done very precisely. this is not a job a 15 year old, his dad, and a friend could undertake, unless your dad has knowledge of this range and the proper tools. do you have any type of welder? 30+ gallon compressor? thats what you need to be saving up for and those two necessities alone, equipt with tools, can put you in the ~$2000

a fiero in drivable condition (better than a non running, rusted, POS at a junkyard) goes for $1000-$3000
    the "lamborghini" body. whether you choose a Countach, Diablo, or Murci (too soon in the market for an accurate murci at a logical price that isnt a scam) the body can range from used $3000 that hasnt been touched. or $9000 new for exterior and interior fiberglass parts. rims are gonna run ~$1200 for lambo rep's. paint is $400, if you choose to do it yourself if you buy a compressor (you really need to. and not a pathetic one) or it can cost you $2000 to get professionally sprayed... that usually doesnt cover prep, which can ruin the car if done incorrectly. a running 3800 v6 with an upgraded tranny from the fiero's (if you buy a fiero with a 4 cyl) is another $2000

aside from my estimates, there are many other hidden costs.

look to spend ~$25,000.

if you decide to purchase an incompleted kit... look to spend $25k in the end (not always, but usually, correcting the previous owners mistakes)

my opinion? by a brand new scion tC or something because a project car is not the best choice to take to school for many reasons.

-Rob

Right now I can't afford a Scion because they are upwards of $17,000.

As I said earlier I'm looking for an inexpensive kit - not neccessarily a Lamborghini kit. I said I'd like a Lamborghini kit but I'm primarily aiming for cost effeciency.

Also, why do you believe a project car is not the best choice to take to school?

Chicks dig buys with running cars more than "project" cars that sometimes run.

PS. If you do find the girl that does not mind being on the side or the road in the rain because your forgot to intall a bushing and the engine blew up... MARRY HER!!!!!!!

Forget the lamborghini. Besides being way out of your price range, they are very impractical. Visibility sucks. I mean sucks bad. Ground clearance is nonexistant. Here is my old diablo that I was working on. I sold it and bought a 356 speedster and am much happier.

Scott

Oh yeah, my recommendation would be to buy a real porsche 912 and run a vw motor in it. You have a real marque that you don't have to tell everyone that it is a replica, cheap to maintain, and you and your dad could easily work on yourself. You can also park it outside which I can't do with my speedster. Nice used without motor 912 $3500, rebuilt mild performance vw motor installed - less than $2000.
    Later,
    Scott

Thanks for the 912 idea.

1984 porsche 944.

one down the block for $1500 but in good condition they can go for $25k
    -Rob

perfect car for a kid. 4-cyl. insurance isnt too bad. fast. good handeling. fun to drive. exciting. great on gas. chicks love saying "he has a porsche!" its reliable. fun project.

oh! and it sounds amazing!

youtube it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcups...elated&search= faded paint job though.
    -Rob