Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello folks, I'm the FNG

Hello folks, I'm the FNG

Merry Christmas,
    I have finally taken my first baby steps toward building a kit car. I purchased a '86 Fiero SE today as a donor. The good: ok interior to start off with, its a manual, it was only $300.00. The bad: does not run (does turn over, but I plan on dropping a mild v-8 into it anyway), its a 4 speed manual (really think I'll be happier with a five speed. Plan on doing the engine swap first and maybe put in a five speed. Anybody got a spare Archie kit laying around? BTW i also picked up a 85 2m4 for $100.00 for parts/experiment on; auto tranny if anybody needs one. Any thoughts on how to begin will be most appreciated. Have some basic automotive skills but this whole thing is going to be a learning experience. As for a body I am leaning towards a non-stretch hard top 355, but if a good deal on almost any Ferrari non-stretch comes along I'll grab it for the right price. Anyway wanted to introduce myself and ask for any beginner advise you could throw out there.
    ;D
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: Hello folks, I'm the FNG

Get it running and on the road before you tear it apart.
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

Congrats on the new Fiero! I wholeheartedly agree with Derwin; get the car running and driving before you start the kit conversion. In fact, I'd view the engine swap and kit as 2 totally separate projects. It's a lot more trouble doing both at the same time; finish one first, then go for the other! If someone had explained this to me years ago, I'd probably be done with the kit by now :-\ Best wishes with the 355; have fun

Welcome aboard, and good luck with your project!
    www.kitcarlist.com

My 2 cents.Don't waste your time or money on anything not stretched. Don't let the stretch scare you. Your going to have to weld at some point. It's realy not that hard.

1st off welcome I too just recently started the addiction...
    2nd get it going with whatever you are wanting to drive V8archie could be your new best friend

3rd good luck on it all stretced or non you can find some killer deals here in the mall with the donor included some times

4th post pics...

Quote Originally Posted by mikebrnch
    Merry Christmas,
    I have finally taken my first baby steps toward building a kit car. I purchased a '86 Fiero SE today as a donor. The good: ok interior to start off with, its a manual, it was only $300.00. The bad: does not run (does turn over, but I plan on dropping a mild v-8 into it anyway), its a 4 speed manual (really think I'll be happier with a five speed. Plan on doing the engine swap first and maybe put in a five speed. Anybody got a spare Archie kit laying around? BTW i also picked up a 85 2m4 for $100.00 for parts/experiment on; auto tranny if anybody needs one. Any thoughts on how to begin will be most appreciated. Have some basic automotive skills but this whole thing is going to be a learning experience. As for a body I am leaning towards a non-stretch hard top 355, but if a good deal on almost any Ferrari non-stretch comes along I'll grab it for the right price. Anyway wanted to introduce myself and ask for any beginner advise you could throw out there.
    ;D
    I agree get the car running first and driving then do the kit also I recommend the street dream V8 kit http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/fiero.php it is more user friendly and I have done both the Starter set up on the Archie kit sucks and you pay at least one grand for angle iron motor mounts to be welded to the Fiero cradle yes it shacks the car a lot. The Archie kit uses a high dollar mini starter the street dream one uses a OEM Nissan starter all in all a better done kit but for some reason not publicized enough if more people used this kit I think the truth would get out. This is just my experience also so please think of it as experience good advice. I love standards, my new Vette is a six speed but an Auto in a Fiero is the best way to go the Shifter and shifter cables suck in a Fiero and if you go Auto you can use the newer stronger Autos. IMO I would go North Star or 4.9 and not have to deal with a kit the adapter kits waste a lot of good money that could be used for other things. If you want good mild v8 HP and torque the 4.9 is the easiest and cheapest motor swap on the V8s you can do I did a complete 4.9 swap for less than the cheapest V8 Archie kit cost and you will still have to buy a lot of stuff just to start the motor. The 4.9 is a clean easy V8 swap no need for new radiator AC lines or cutting half of the frame out of your car. My next swap will be a longitudinal with a stretch for the longer wheelbase this only makes since and keeps the weight centered and looks awesome Good luck
    www.kikkerbikes.com

Welcome to the forum but take your time and read up some more over the Holidays before you start with your conversion...assuming that you get the Fiero running.

Take a good look at how others have started on their 355 projects...There are plenty of topics with photos to help you start on the right direction...Ask questions as you go along and don't hesitate to try somethings you've never done before (like bondo and welding)...that's the ONLY way to learn.

When you decide on the engine you want in your replica or you need a F355 replica kit, send me a PM and I might be able to help you.....I have a F355 Spider kit (stretched version) and various engines available for your build: a 4.9 Caddy engine + trans. or a Caddy Northstar STS 32V engine + trans or a Vette TPS engine (no trany).

All the best and Happy Holidays.

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

I agree that you need to get the Fiero sorted out and running before attempting a build. I would also scan the Ebay replica/other makes category as well as the Fiero section looking for someone's unfinished project. These will typically sell for a fraction of the money they have into it. You haven't invested any money in your Fiero yet so you could still sell it and get something else. An engine swap is a pretty daunting project if you haven't done one before. I would stay away from the sbc swaps. IMHO it's just too heavy and would really screw up the handling plus it's too much torque for the Fiero trans. The 4.9 is probably the best/cheapest/easiest V8 swap you could do. It's an aluminum block engine that weighs about what the stock 2.8 V6 weighs. It's been done many times before and there is a ton of info on Pennocks about it. While your working on the engine swap keep your eye out for a good deal on a body kit.
    I don't agree about the requirment to stretch the car. It adds more complication and money to the project and if not done exactly right it can really mess things up and may make the car unsafe to drive. My AD355 is a nonstretch and I think it looks fine. So far no one has guessed it's anything other than the real thing.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted. giveituptome - FNG stands for ------- new guy; one of our favorite unofficial military terms. And I'm sure somewhere in my build I will find myself in a 'FUBAR' situation more than once. Reading alot on the forums, will try not to ask to many stupid questions.
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.