Thread: Extreme's Murci - MR2 conversion FACTS...

Extreme's Murci - MR2 conversion FACTS...

As many of you guys are following the Extreme Murci progress you have to wonder about the stretching of the MR2 and so on.... I've had right around 10 MR2 MKII's ranging from 91 to 95 models. One question thats always brought up on the MR2oc forums is whill a V8 fit in the MR2 setup on a Porsche transaxle???????? Answer is NO, not unless you stretch your MR2..... but wait, Extremes Murci kit Requires the stretch!

One problem with the MKII MR2 for those who have never owned one is that the back end wants to come around in a fast snap oversteer situtation rather easy. With Extreme moving the MR2 engine back even further it is going to make it either 1 or 2 things that could happen, with the longer wheel base the MR2 wont snap oversteer as bad, hopefully (1) will ride more along the lines of an NSX Or (2) handle horrible and still have the same problem... I'm hoping it will be more along the lines of 1. The MR2 is capable of making more torque than the NSX as well even w/ their 3.0 or 3.2 liter V6's. I would be interested to see how the MR2 engine will preform being moved back as it has been in Extremes current prototype!

Having said all of that, back to the V8/G50 trans setup. With the extra room required to fit extremes murci on the MR2, then a Longitude setup will work! This will allow the user to mount a V6/V8 low and balanced inside whats left of the MR2. Concerns with mounting the motor are the factory gas tank which lies in the middle of the car requiring it to be relocated. Im sure theirs others concerns and I will mention them as I think about them.

Conclusion:

I think I will hold off on the DNA 360 project and go with what I've been wanting to go with which is the Extreme Murci for the MR2. Theres just no other Murci kit out there that is an exact body as this kit is. Also engine options will be endless with this amount of room the murci body adds to the MR2. I guess we will just have to wait and see whats to come!

Re: Extreme's Murci - MR2 conversion FACTS...

Not my color choice but come on!!!! how hot is that!

Thats more of what I'm aiming for! Seat-Time and Time Attack!

You have 33 inch from the bulk head to the centre of the rear wheels (centre of the new strut tops). Please keep this in mind; you will have 335 tyres on the rear so I very much doubt it will slide. The rear of the car is light not heavy like the genuine car

But the displacement of the weight of the 2.0 liter vs the 6.0 liter is very different. But the fact of at least 335's in the rear would in fact not allow the 2.0 liter to come around. Now also if the (pardon the pun) builder is extreme (using a porsche transaxle and XXXX engine) they will indeed have room to make it happen!

I see a motor setup much like the GTM supercar in my mind. Although I would want to weigh the odds or running a 2JZGTE in there as well.... since there would be a little more room now.

You are confusing me, the weight of the engine is in the same place, above the rear wheels like it always was, all we have done is lengthened the wheelbase. We have not moved the engine behind the rear wheels, they came back with it.

Sorry, no I understand what your saying, and I must be unclear about what I was trying to say. I know that the engine is still on the wheels as with a stock MR2, but its just that, still a 40/60 weight distribution. All I was stating that w/ the G50/XXX motor setup it would be better balanced than just moving the engine back (still above the rear wheels).

Quote Originally Posted by lowboost
    Sorry, no I understand what your saying, and I must be unclear about what I was trying to say. I know that the engine is still on the wheels as with a stock MR2, but its just that, still a 40/60 weight distribution. All I was stating that w/ the G50/XXX motor setup it would be better balanced than just moving the engine back (still above the rear wheels).
    Yes, it would be better balanced because the V8 with transaxle setup would place the engine between the seats/firewall and the rear axle. The transmission is what will be sitting directly inline with the wheels in the V8 setup....That will create better weight distribution as the engine will be sitting in the rear-middle of the car.

As for fabrication I know Extreme knows all about this, and I can see that most fab work is moving the engine back / or going custom as what I was wanting to do in the first place. Also along w/ that most fab work, it would be the roof. as you can see my lame quality lay overs on a stretched MR2. The roof/pillars/doors all would have to be removed for that job. It would be good because its always easy to take something off, its another thing added metal or welds lol.

Is the black Merci in the picture above a kit car or the real thing? Looks AWESOME!

Do they make ANY Japanese car based Merci kits here in the states?

Its a real Murcielago race car, they have two of them currently (or did). Theres no japanese base kit in the USA until sometime next year. Ash (EXTREME) is planning on having the kit finished the end of this year, and hopefully I can get one of the kits. Its based on the MR2 either Non-turbo or turbo. Those cars are as cheap as 1000 and can cost up to 10K for one making over 300 to 400 HP! The MR2 community is easy going and real informative about the V6 swaps which tons of people are doing now... so its just another option.

Hope that helps