Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: real f355 problems...

real f355 problems...

my friends dad bought a 1998 f355 spider last summer and is trading it in today for a 360, was just his car a lemon or do they all have problems......

convertable top stopped 1/2 way and motor burnt out, a/c stoped working, raidio would cut in and out, crack in manifold, bumper on rear kept coming lose

Re: real f355 problems...

I haven't had those problems with my AD355. Oh wait! It's not a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by viciouscrx
    my friends dad bought a 1998 f355 spider last summer and is trading it in today for a 360, was just his car a lemon or do they all have problems......

convertable top stopped 1/2 way and motor burnt out, a/c stoped working, raidio would cut in and out, crack in manifold, bumper on rear kept coming lose
    If the previous owner who sold the F355 to your friend neglected to do service or take care of maintainance, then probably that F355 had problems....Generally speaking, the F355 cars were trouble free cars (except the earlier models 1995-1996) which had developed cracked manifold and burned valve issues). Radio not working, AC motor failure, and bumper coming loose are NOT generally reliability issues associated with ANY modern Ferrari.

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

YES, YES they are. I have not owned one in years but I have owned a number of 308, a mondial Cabrio, and a 348, all crappy by normal standards. You are buying a status symbal and a collector car. I have friends with real Ferrari's and a friend with a real Diablo. I like replicas because they look great and you can actually use them. Real ones are maintanance nightmares and anyone telling you anything else is either lying, doesn't drive it, or has soo much money they don't notice the $8k-$10k tune-ups. My 348 had 1500 miles on it when I bought it and 12000 when I sold it. It cost me about $1.50/mile to maintain it with no major issues just normal maintenance and my shop did the work. I got rid of it because my Ferrrari experienced mechanic told me it would likely need rebuilding before 25k miles and that he had only seen one engine like mine that made it for more than 30k miles. My friend bought his Diablo roadster from a Lambo dealer used with 800 miles on it and it has leaked from day one. Lambo told him they all leak and recommended he not drive it in the rain. He just had belts, hoses and a tune-up, A/C repair --- $18k.

You have sparked a nerve, my blood pressure is rising and I must walk away.

I read somewhere that the earlier ferrari's were maintenance nightmares because they weren't to be used as daily drivers. They were true racecars that were sold to the public. They needed the care and attention of an entire pit crew....

Starting with the 355 and definately pushing through on the 360 was the notion of ferrari's being daily-drivers...

I think the 360 purchase is a great choice, although if your firend could get his hands on a 430 for not too much more i would advise that option. Slap a Novitec-rosse front bumper and call it a day...

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    YES, YES they are. I have not owned one in years but I have owned a number of 308, a mondial Cabrio, and a 348, all crappy by normal standards. You are buying a status symbal and a collector car. I have friends with real Ferrari's and a friend with a real Diablo. I like replicas because they look great and you can actually use them. Real ones are maintanance nightmares and anyone telling you anything else is either lying, doesn't drive it, or has soo much money they don't notice the $8k-$10k tune-ups. My 348 had 1500 miles on it when I bought it and 12000 when I sold it. It cost me about $1.50/mile to maintain it with no major issues just normal maintenance and my shop did the work. I got rid of it because my Ferrrari experienced mechanic told me it would likely need rebuilding before 25k miles and that he had only seen one engine like mine that made it for more than 30k miles. My friend bought his Diablo roadster from a Lambo dealer used with 800 miles on it and it has leaked from day one. Lambo told him they all leak and recommended he not drive it in the rain. He just had belts, hoses and a tune-up, A/C repair --- $18k.

You have sparked a nerve, my blood pressure is rising and I must walk away.

Well calm down now - don't give yourself a heart attack over this!

Yeaa, we've all heard those "nightmare" Ferrari repair stories and all those who drive replicas love to believe those stories as well....The REAL facts are probably very different...Just because your older Ferrari cars were less than reliable and cost you money to perform routine, it doesn't mean that all Ferraris are as problematic. I agree with you however that older Ferraris that never get driven develop maintainance problems over time (from sitting too long)...Modern Ferraris starting with the F355 have VERY FEW mechanical problems, if they are used as they supposed to be used....Your bad experiences with Ferrari cars should not be a reflection on the reliability of modern Ferraris. They are certainly not unreliable cars but they tend to have mechanical issues when not driven on a regular basis.

My original comments were about the F355 mechanical issues in particular, not about the older Ferrari or how expensive is to service them....As fas as I know and from I read on Ferrari Forums, the F355 cars have very few mechanical problems and all those earlier problems have been addressed and corrected by Ferrari (recalls).

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

I had a 1986 Mondial 3.2 Euro and it was a piece of crap and broke all the time. But the one thing I can say is that it did have 91k miles on it, so either the pervious owner dumped a ton of money into it, or it was a pretty good car for a supercar.

I know, once agian an older model Ferrari. But that car was the reason I started building a replica. I wanted a supercar that I could drive everyday.

no comment.....

Thats why I like DNA's build on the newer MR2.

All 355s suffer from poorly designed stock manifolds. Best 355 to get is a berlinetta with a manual gearbox. The F1 gearbox can cost you $16,000 in parts alone if it needs to be replaced. If you don't research a car's service history chances are you will get stuck with a hefty repair bill. Any of the 3X8's are good buys if you find one with a great service history and don't mind doing your own labor.

Otherwise, stick with your replica.