Thread: Boxster, Z3 or 1st gen SLK?

Boxster, Z3 or 1st gen SLK?

Hi all
    As you know from my previous post I picked up a wrecked boxster and after reading the comments about reliability I am now re-thinking if I should even invest the time on this car. I love 2 seat convertibles and if I choose too I can put the boxster back up for auction.

At the auction there are several cars like 1st gen SLKs and Z3s with body damage going for really low prices. Are any of these good? Or are most European cars problematic?

Oh and it has to be a good base for a kit car of some kind or a good body mod..

Any 2 seat convertibles you could recommend?
    Thanks

Re: Boxster, Z3 or 1st gen SLK?

By far, fiero kits are the most popular and most available. There are a few Toyota MR2 ferrari kits that also look very good. Fiero stuff is cheaper and easy to work on; MR2 is newer technology and probably better built. If you're looking for a spyder kit, the toyota was designed by the factory as roofless; the fiero will need to be modified by bracing the a-pillar/windshield area and the frame.

The safest way to go with a convertible would be the MR2, but I'd make sure you had roll-over protection regardless of what you build.

I have not seen kits for the other cars you mentioned.

Shawn, I'm not a wise man, but I've read a few of your 16 post.... You seem to me that you want minimal fabrication on your behalf which goes for 90% of all builders in my book. If you want a convertible, and DONT want to stretch the car, buy a MR2 Spyder with minimal damage, and buy the DNA 360. You will have a very authentic looking replica on a non stretched body, which is ULTRA reliable, and if you want a little more HP (180bhp to be exact) do a 2zz swap w/ 6spd trans.

How that helps!

Also sell the boxster to a board member so we can have someone build a Carrera GT!

Thanks Corson and lowboost. I emailed DNA 360 and they said right now with the euro money conversion its gonna cost apx $13,000 plus shipping to get it to the USA. Thats almost another used MR2S cost. I will look into it, but I do like how the kit looks and your right that I want something as easy to do as possible.

Thanks again.
    Shawn

I konw you're looking for a convertible, but I thought I'd throw this out for you.. a lambo kit that fits a fiero with no frame stretching:

http://www.euroworksexotics.com/Miragex_StageI.htm

I'd LOVE to see a build thread on one of these.