Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maiden Voyage of BullRider's 25th Anniversary Countach

Maiden Voyage of BullRider's 25th Anniversary Countach

So... I decided to make a big push and get the last of the little details wrapped up last night, including installing the passenger seats and belt, and cleaning up the mods to the front fenderwells that I did. It took me about an hour or so.

I installed a small fire extinguisher and packed a few emergency tools (just in case). When my wife got home, I told her I was taking the car out for the first time. She shared a bit of my excitement and took a few pics before I left.

I jumped in, fired her up, and took off down the mountain to get some gas.

Discoveries:

1.) Damn! The visibility is low compared to my Murano (or any other modern car, for that matter). It takes a while to get used to the slim windshield and non-existent rear view. Thank goodness I installed the rear-view camera. With it, I get near 150 degrees visibility to the rear.

2.) She's loud! I need to spray some foam into the nooks and crannies above the rear firewall. 5.7 litres of engine just a foot behind your head is pretty loud. Don't get me wrong, its not really bad. You can still converse easily with a passenger, its just... loud, that's all. Solid engine mounts really let you feel how the engine is doing. I kind of like it.

3.) She's fast! Until I get my alignment done and some wheel balancing, I didn't want to open her up, but even at half throttle, the car jumps ahead like a rocket in all the gears. I can't wait to get the tracking smoothed out and really open her up.

4.) Man, do people look!!! I stopped for gas at the Esso station at the bottom of the hill. The attendent nearly walked straight into a post when he saw me pulling up. A couple of young guys in a Toyota pickup actually pulled off the road and into the station to take pictures with their cell phones, smiling and shaking their heads the whole time. The petite blonde in the Cavalier behind me pulled her sunglasses down and told me how hot the car was. Now there's a cure for a midlife crisis (if I were hitting mid-life, that is.. got a ways to go yet, I hope). People passing me in the opposite direction on the way home yelled out their windows how "sick" the car was.

5.) She's overheating. Temp hit 240 on the way home. I just managed to pull into the driveway as the filler cap began to sputter at me in complaint. I'm currently running a 180 degree thermostat. I'm going to try and troubleshoot by removing the thermostat altogether to see if that's the issue. I'm also going to add a lower air scoop for the radiator. Seems that while standing still the temp hovers at 190, but giving her gas under load makes the needle climb. Hoping that added airflow through the rad will help. I'm also going to double check my upper coolant lines to make sure that they're not kinked. The one feeding the top of the block is at a pretty sharp angle and I don't much like it.

6.) Cyanoacrelate glue doesn't stick to glass well. I lost one piece of window trim on the ride home. I'm not too upset, as I'll simply pull the pieces, paint them semi-gloss black(which I was going to do anyway) and reinstall them with urethane. I'm guessing an hour's worth of work now that all the pieces are cut and fit properly.

All in all it was a successful, if slightly disappointing, maiden voyage. Once I get the overheating issue addressed, I'll be feeling a lot better.

Sometime in the next few days, maybe I'll jack up the car, pull the 'stat and see if I can't get any more burps out of the system. Maybe I've still got some air in there...

Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

Re: Maiden Voyage of BullRider's 25th Anniversary Countach

CONGRATS LOOKS GREAT

Hi Bob, congrats on venturing out of the cul de sac.... What a feeling!.... With reference to your over heating problem... It is possable air is still in the system. I can't remember if you have a stock Rad or an aftermarket. Which do you have? Felix

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

FOR ALL the late nights ,weekends, an sitting in your favorite chair thinking up the impossible so you do not have to spend a small fortune an then it come to you in a dream an you make the part yourself CONGRADS on the finshed car
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Congrats Bullrider.

The car looks great. Now the next level of enjoyment of the experience really begins where you start to "tinker" and add, remove, modify for the next many years to come until you hit that mid life point...... I can hardly wait to be able to do that myself.

Looks great. Enjoy it.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Congrats Bullrider.

You must be in 7 heaven dude.
    Can i offer a little bit of my hummble advice regarding the overheating situation.
    As well as what everyone else was saying regarding there could be air in the system and so forth.
    My i recomend that you use dionised water in your cooling system.
    Dionised water has a higher boiling point than regular tap water.
    I used to own a renault gt turbo that was highly tuned, and boy dead that thing over heat.
    it went through headgaskets like you would not belive. So i changed the rad to a full copper core rad and only used dionised warter,
    and it really did make a differance. instead of the water temp shooting up, it would more likely to creep up.
    www.lazymansguideto.com<br /><br />The Lazy Way To Learn

Great advice! Thanks. I'll try that next time I flush my system.
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

Wow! Shes stunning! You should be very proud, I know I would be, I was just looking at your website and the car looks very good compared to most "Shorties", looks long and sleek rather than short and stubby like most non-stretched kits. Very nice indeed. Who was the maker of your kit originally?
    You have the whole summer to enjoy her now! ;D

Very Nice! Makes me want to drop all work & just finish my 355.

I know the feeling of taking the first drive. It took me almost a month to get the smile off of my face. I still get the looks and I think you will find it hard to drive in traffic because people will drive in one of the many blind spots admiring your car. And in my opinion there is a lot to admire with your car. You have done a fantastic job. I also have an overheating challenge and have narrowed the culprit down to an expansion tank near the engine in the line going out of the engine to the radiator. I also jacked up the rear of the car and bled the air out of the system by loosing the clamps on the upper radiator hose and filling the engine through the heater hose. It seems to be working here in the Sunshine (read hot, hot, hot) State.

Congratulations,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.