Thread: 3.4L engine question?????

3.4L engine question?????

i am thinking of rebuilding my stock 2.8L fiero engine OR replacing it with a 3.4L.
    can any one advise me on what is best. I don't want any over heating problems
    with the 3.4 or smog issues things like that. Also is this 3.4 worth the extra cost in terms of say on a scale of 1 to 10 how mush faster will the car be? what ever engine i choose will be an automatic! I can use all the feedback i can get. Thanks.........

Re: 3.4L engine question?????

kit512tr, do a 3.4L search on http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...i?action=intro All of your questions have been answered there...

I haven't done a 3.4 swap, but my impression is that it's cheap and easy. (I'm assuming you're talking about the 93-95 Camaro/Firebird engine and not the DOHC 3.4) If you're doing that swap purely for performance, I've heard the performance gain is noticeable, but nothing to write home about. If the 2.8 is worn, I'd say it's a better idea to invest in a low mileage salvaged 3.4 rather than rebuilding the 2.8. Try this link for a 3.4 if you go that route (the 3.4 is only found in 93-95 Camaros and Firebirds)
    www.car-part.com

That's just my 2 cents. Best wishes!

The 3.4 push-rod is a good replacement for a worn or broken 2.8. Yes, the 3.4 does have a little more HP and a better torque curve. I would not drop a running 2.8 though. Is it smog legal in California? No, but with the Fiero intake, valve covers it is very hard to tell. Still not legal.

If you do a SEARCH and read some of the resulting info from Pennock's Fiero Forum, you'll see that the 2.8 is pretty much "performance proof" because of the way it is designed. Rather than re-build mine, I had a 3.4L pushrod conversion done. It is indistinguishable from the stock 2.8 and will smog test anywhere in california (assuming it is running correctly). I have matched, ported and polished intake and exhaust manifolds, enlarged throttle body and MSD ignition - smog testing is no problem even in Los Angeles; it blows clean and no DMV issues were necessary.

The stock 2.8 is 135 HP; I'm guessing (hoping) that my 3.4 is 170 -180-ish. You can feel a small, but noticable power gain. If you don't have smog issues and have the tools, time and talent, you're MUCH better off going with ANY other engine conversion - the 3800 S/C is a SUPER choice. If not, a modified 3.4 pr is still a LOT better than wasting your time and money on the 2.8 . I've seen a few guys sucessfully install and get DMV documents for 3.4 DOHC and 4.9 V8 conversions here in the LA / Orange County area.

The stock fiero cooling system can easily accommodate the 3.4 L pr engine. I think that you only need to worry about overheating the system design when you install a V8 and that is easily remedied by installing a 4 core radiator.

All the sensors, etc. from the 2.8 swap right over on to the 3.4L pr. The stock ECU is fine too. The guys doing mine got a remanufactured 3.4 L ATK long block and swapped the 2.8 stuff over. The mods to make the 3.4 breath easier are available from PFF member Darrel Morse and really aren't too expensive. i think it WAS worth the extra dollars to do the 3.4 ' cause it really wasn't that much extra over thet cost of rebuilding the 2.8 .

Thanks, all the insite helps a great deal! thanks for your time. you kno the only reason i'm even thinking of rebuilding the 2.8L is it has 195,000 Miles on it but it feels strong! I'm really looking for more power mybe i should just bite the bullet and just do a 3800. i wanted to make some more upgrades on the car other than just an engine but, a 3800 is a big,big up grade and i don't kno when i will have this kind of money all at once again!

You could do a 3.4 DOHC or a cadillac 4.9 too; either of these would still be better than the 2.8 OR 3.4 pr. As a minimum, I'd do the 3.4 pr if I were you and completely forget the 2.8 - you can swap a LOT/most of the stuff from your old 2.8 onto the 3.4 pr.

Bondo Bob installed a 3.4 pushrod conversion in his Mirage kit with a Crane bump stick. It runs very well, looks stock and was almost a bolt in other than moving the starter to the other side of the block (a very easy task if you have a drill and tap for the new attachment points).

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

The 3.4 pushrod engine is rated at 160 hp versus the 140 HP for the Fiero 2.8 L V6. Other than relocating the starter it is a drop in conversion for a Fiero based car with some performance improvement. Use of this engine does position you for a later turbo upgrade and significant HP gains with a stock type engine. I have done that on one of my cars and am quite satisfied with the swap.