Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: !(Controversial warning)! Do wealthy people want/buy kit cars?

!(Controversial warning)! Do wealthy people want/buy kit cars?

Ok I know this is controversial but after reading some posts about those talking about wealth etc I am now curious. Other then the Classics Porsche speedster/Spyder or Shelby Cobra. Do wealthy people (over 200K a year net) want replica cars of Ferrari's and Lambos? If so for what reasons?

Re: !(Controversial warning)! Do wealthy people want/buy kit cars?

I would say no. If we are all honest and had an income of 200k per year we would buy the real deal even if they were older.

I would not go crazy, even with that much I would want something reliable, I would purchase a real one and consider a swap to lets say a bmw v12. Some may say I am crazy but that is me.

Asking this question is a sore topic because those that have the money think we are nothing more than posers acting as we have money. IE fake rolex, fake car, fake rings etc.

We have been blasted by some real owners pretty badly for wanting to drive as they say " a picece of crap dressed to look like a 355 or 360 or lambo" One thing is true our cars will never be the "real one" but it is fun having to build it and in the end enjoy it.

I for one will never tell anyone that my car is real, I will always disclose that it is a replica built on a fiero chassis. Most of the people that have seen my car and know it's a replica always say you really built this??

It is a hobby plain and simple.

just my 0.10 worth

RUNDLC

I hear you about those who can afford real ones would not like it very much if others "stole their thunder" as they say. Do you think wealthy people would buy a custom frame kit car with a lets say Japanese or American motor. for Either more reliability(Japanese motor) or power(American big block) then the real deal?

Bobi1

I would build custom cars no matter how big is my income, even if I'm a millionaire.

I think the bottom line is, people will be impressed with a really well built kit car. But as soon as a real one rolls in, I mean no matter good of a builder you are, no matter how similar it might be, a real exotic is a real exotic. No flaws what so ever. The owner pops open the hood and for some people they get to see for the first time in there lives a Lamborghini V12 or a Ferrari V12?? I'm not even sure what Ferrari is using these day? lol... People who know what a Chevy V6 or V8 looks like are not going to be that impressed. But you know what? It really comes down to, who cares what ANY ONE thinks? If your car looks really well built, your going to get a ton of looks and your probably going to feel like a million bucks driving it. A lot of rich people are snobs who look down on any one who aren't in the same league as they are. And some wealthy people will still compliment your car even if it is a Kit.

Hawk your statement of real owners giving you props are true, I have met two "real" owners of lamborghini's they both are very nice guys. One actually had a replica before making a boat load of money. He is very cool about my lambo replica and has even wants to talk shop about it.

The other guys says hey please bring it by, I would love to see your build, I don't understand some real owners, its your money right??
    So both guys are OK in my book.

Both have offered to find parts for me if I need them!!

RUNDLC

This is a bit off topic but. When I first walked into Lamborghini dealerships at first I felt like I had no business even being there and I thought some one was going to ask me to leave! Here I am, 35 years old, I look maybe 25 cuz I look young for my age. Yet the sales guys are very friendly. If anything there not at all pushy like some Ford or Dodge or GM dealers. And what really impressed the heck out of me was, I was talking to this sales guy, I said well I would like to find an older 5000S Countach, black preferably. So he writes my name down and says to me, let me ask around, some of my old customer might be interested in selling there Countach's. So I leave the dealership and the next day I get a phone call, the Lambo sales guy calls me up and says, "Well Cory an old customer of mine has a 1989 Anniversary he's interested in selling. Would you like me to give you his number? I know this car really well, he just spent over 20 grand putting in a new clutch and service and brand new tires." I didn't by the car because 1. its an Anniversary and its just my opinion but I like the older LP body styling better. Just cleaner looking. And two the guy wanted over $140 grand! And it was red! But I was very impressed that the sales guy actually took the time to let me know about this car! I've had GM sales man turn there noses up at me when I'm looking at a Corvette! So not all high rollers are snobs.

Run, your first post was spot on, couldnt agree more.

I think the older kitcars left the door open for cheap shots..however..the new generation..the Extreme and DNA generation..thats another story..

We just might see many people, even exotic owners, giving praise to 360 and murci kit owners..They are just so exact in the look and the quality that "POS" wouldnt apply at all...i have a feeling the tides will be changing and the world will start to embrace these new kitcars...

My boss makes 175K a year, Vice pres of operations at our distribution center, and he is SO CHEAP he will never spend his money, they live like they are poor. He fell in love with my S2000 when I had it and I stated it was a mear 25K dollar car. He said thats ok but still a lot but what did he know! I mentioned ferrari kit cars and said using reliable US made parts its all a USA built car and that had him say he would rather build a US kit any day. I said ummm ok so look like an european car, oximoron? lol.

I can honestly say, if I had that kind of income I'd do this:

Have a custom build tubular chassis (possibly built out of aluminum)
    Have a exact splash off a F430 coupe
    Buy real Ferrari glass
    Use LS7 on Ferrari gear box
    Use original Ferrari brakes or better

and the joy and pride of saying i built it

Many wealthy people are very cheap the right car they would by in a minute to save money and talk about how great of a deal they got to their friends.