Thread: Need help with shipping a chassis from CAN to USA! Please help! cost is crazy!

Need help with shipping a chassis from CAN to USA! Please help! cost is crazy!

Hey guys, I'm working out a deal on a space frame rolling chassis, and price is right, but shipping is almost what the chassis cost! just hundreds less actually! I would be getting it shipped from Calgary CA to Spartanburg South Carolina USA!

Shipping is one thing, but if I was to drive up there as another option, how could I get the frame across the border without having to have a broker or something, to make it more expensive or time consuming.

Any idea's? of shippers or methods to insure it come safely to me and not breaking the bank in the process?

Re: Need help with shipping a chassis from CAN to USA! Please help! cost is crazy!

why dont you just do the drive yourself? It would take, what? a couple of days?, so drive up there and pick it up yourself. unless of course your time is worth more than the cost of the shipping.

Re: Need help with shipping a chassis from CAN to USA! Please help! cost is cra

Hmmmm... not sure of the requirements for a chassis in terms of notice for the border. I know for cars (or other titled equipment) you need to give the border 72 hours notice prior to it arriving at the crossing. For the hassle, I'd just use a broker rather than driving up and crossing yourself. Using a broker only costs a couple hundred bucks at most (probably less, depending on the value of the chassis), and saving the hassle of the paperwork is well worth it.

I use domestic trucking all the time for my work. We ship heavy equipment all over North America every day. I'm sure that I could get you a good freight rate out of Calgary to South Carolina. Do you have dimensions and weights for the chassis? If you do, let me know and I'll see if I can get a freight rate for you.

Bob
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

Re: Need help with shipping a chassis from CAN to USA! Please help! cost is crazy!

the chassis is just a bunch of welded metal tubing. Why would they hassle you over it?

because I bought a car before and it was all cool until one of the pieces of paper was missing then my mother and I were being held in a room for a few hours. I had bought a car in CAN and the guy lied to me saying all the paper work was correct. Long story short I cancelled my certified check and gave him my car back and rented a car to drive back down to SC. I was 20 years old, and should have been smarter but oh well.

Re: Need help with shipping a chassis from CAN to USA! Please help! cost is cra

Quote Originally Posted by BullRider
    Hmmmm... not sure of the requirements for a chassis in terms of notice for the border. I know for cars (or other titled equipment) you need to give the border 72 hours notice prior to it arriving at the crossing. For the hassle, I'd just use a broker rather than driving up and crossing yourself. Using a broker only costs a couple hundred bucks at most (probably less, depending on the value of the chassis), and saving the hassle of the paperwork is well worth it.

I use domestic trucking all the time for my work. We ship heavy equipment all over North America every day. I'm sure that I could get you a good freight rate out of Calgary to South Carolina. Do you have dimensions and weights for the chassis? If you do, let me know and I'll see if I can get a freight rate for you.

Bob
    Bullrider, If you dont know this is Don's chassis (if you know what I'm even talking about lol) he bought that tube framed fiero w/ C5 wheels and so on. Well we worked out a deal, and shipping is the problem. Its basically the size of the fiero, it has parts also that need to be shipped that are boxed up.

Put an axle on the back, make a quick bracket, hitch it up to the back of a vehicle with a towbar and bring it across as a trailer. What can they say? Then return it to normal and hey presto you have your chassis across the border ;D

naah i just have to see about who to talk to about an off road race car frame and see what they would say the stipulations would be to allow me to cross legally or a trucking line w/o killing me in fee's