Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos's 512 from TO

Carlos's 512 from TO

I was wondering if anyone could inform me on the 512 convertibles? (Jim/Carlos) If any one else can give me background info I would really appreciate it.

I would like to know the following:
    1) Who is the manufacturer of kit?
    2) Who did the upgrade to the motor?
    3) Where is the dash kit from?
    4) It was sold about a year ago (how much)?
    5) Any issues with the car when sold?
    6) Anything else you can tell me about it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Re: Carlos's 512 from TO

No it looks like this ;D
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Replica-Kit-Makes...QQcmdZViewItem

ie. It is/was Carlos'
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

I saw that one, it was nice too.

Derwin you are correct.

I am looking at it and others but I've been looking at completed/projects for a while now. The difference now is that I finally have saved a few $$$ to purchase one. I'm hoping to find one with little or no immediate work required. This way I can enjoy it for the summer and then work on "adjusting" it over the winter.

Now, back to the 512. If anyone has any info on this car please post it here.

Thanks
    Tari

I looked at the original 512 Carlos has put together several years ago. I do not know if this is the same one or not but his was yellow.

I do not know the original manufacturer of the kit but Carlos had made many changs to the car that he explained to me.

• He made rockers out of aluminum on the original as there weren't any when opening the door up.
    • He took the very flat sides of the car and tapered them in about 1.5-2" to have a better overall look.
    • He took the original Fiero Fiero windshield out and put in a Neon windscreen and made a mounting plate out of fiberglass and a windshield surround to fit the Neon screen.
    • He also adjusted the front hood to form around the new windscreen.
    • The side duct strakes or whatever they are called were made from aluminim and he custom made the rear taillight covers from aluminum as well.

The night before I went to his place, the original V6 2.8 through a rod or bearing so he planned on replacing the engine. I do not know what he replaced it with. I was seriously considering buying a kit from him as the car looked really good close up as well as from a distance but I ended up with the 355 instead.

Both Jim Dinner and Carlos are very approachable and up front with everything they do so you might be able to ask these questions to them directly. I do not know if this is the original 512 or not but the one I saw was a very nice replica.

Hope this helps.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

This is from an old topic about v8 fieros, But jim talks a little about this car for sale now.. It is the car Carlos built that is for sale now..

The bottom of the second quote is a little insight into the car..

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ferrari
    Another thing is that it has a V8 and the guy that knows this car has bad things to say about V8 Fieros.
    I bet some of his bad experiences might be directly related to this car..

This was posted in another thread by JDinner..http://www.madmechanics.com/index.php?topic=89.0

Here is a quote..

"The V-8's I have seen usually run about one hour tops before something makes you turn it off. Honestly it is less than one hour and more like 15 minutes.

Ask me how many times I have extracted broken V-8 motor mount bolts in a Fiero, ask me how many times I have welded transmission mounts in a V-8 Fiero.

This is just my opinion based on real life repairs and experiences. I have been a licensed mechanic since 1980 and I would never install a V-8 into a Fiero unless I was to drag it in 1/4 mile only, that way it will only need to run for about one minute and a cooling system does not need to be a priority."
    This quote was referring to a car that was built by WildStyles in Boonton NJ. It was tacked together and dumped before it was tested. Not to put down the builder but a test drive is a very important part of a build along with basic mechanical, plumbing, welding, fastener, and electrical skills. Don't take my word for it, ask any customer in a private email.
    --------
    The 512TR in the ebay ad is a well built car with a High-Tech V-8 kit and not the V8Archie. The High-Tech ( http://www.hi-techdev.com/html/v8_eliminator.html ) kit done in such a way that an engine belt can be used to power such things as an alternator. Who knew an alternator was needed to run a car...go figure. It is 'Top Notch'.

The 512Tr here is a well built car by a guy here in Toronto (Carlos) that has an eye for body work like you could not believe. I ask him is opinion on all my projects. In fact, he did all the body work on my Red Diablo Roadster, that workmanship speaks for itself.

I did not build the car, but I do know the car and I can say it is a well built replica that is well worth the money.

Cheers:
    Jim

A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

It's the same car in both listings (mentioned by Lambo1 and Derwin).

Jim/Carlos if you're around, give me/us your insight.

Tari