Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIEWS ON COPYWRITE

VIEWS ON COPYWRITE

Hi all, Im a retired Copywrite and Patent Lawyer who has been in the business for 30 years. ( dont worry, Im not here to inflict high service Premiums) I have been reading these threads with much interest as I own a nice AC Cobra Rep. I must say that the Technical Knowledge and the commitment you people have is superb.

ANYWAY - My question is really work related.

Years ago when who ever it was made the first 355 replica on the MR2 had the market share. However there now seems to be about a dozen manufactures out there now making realitively same 355 kits, use almost exactly the same methods of build and probably, I have no doub, some have copied each others parts at some point or another. Therefore how do these companies such as DNA and EXTREME intend to keep control of their tremendous hard work and development. You cannot thake out copywrite protection as these companies copy anyway . Any thought on this.

Re: VIEWS ON COPYWRITE

you answered your own question. I could buy a DNA or Extreme tomorrow, get it to the states and copy it till my molds melt. It might be wrong to do, but im sure as you know it would not be illegal . Hell i would be more concerned with F lawyers knocking then DNA or Extreme

well if you labeled your molds farreri or something like that and had them sign a contract stating that if any molds were produced that they would be sued for X dollar amount.... couldn't you do that?

but one thing for sure, its a pyramid effect...

Ferrari
    DNA + EXTREME + DAVE JONES + AD JW + ETC ETC
    I know AD has been copied by someone before, but he doesn't care, but cause (and he told me in person) he said that you can copy his design and make molds off it, but it WILL NEVER be the same quality that he can produce period. I believe DNA and Extreme believe that method too, and heck look at the top of the pyramid ferrrari that got copied by all those below, and thats illegal, but they have slight variations. So whose really protected?

OZZY360,

You are correct, a product is not on the market long before someone has splashed it. About all a kit company can do is rely on quality and customer service. I don't know the percentage, but it is high, of this industry has the business skills of a monkey. Some are what I call "splash and scam." They splash a popular kit with very poor molds, pull some low quality parts, usually not a whole kit, and start selling them with the promise to ship the rest later, a lot of people are still waiting on later. There are old time followers of kit cars but there are no old time survivers in the kit manufacturing end. This is a tough, tough business. There arn't much ethics and I'm not sure what you have without it. Ethical behavior is the basis for all long term relationships, be it friend, spouse, or customer. A long answer to: Quality and customer service!!

Bart

This obviously explains the high price of the kits then. No offence to DNA AND EXTREME. Basically make a fast buck while they can, pay for the original car, development time and moulds, then hopefully start making a profit before the kit is splashed. Therefore, are these guys really making as much as we think they are. Doubtfull.
    BUT WHAT A JOB TO HAVE. ;D ;D Ive come across this sort of thing in high volume manufacturing industry, whilst it may not be lawfull to copy something but highly immoral. Unfortunately, 90% of this time, nothing can be done about it in a court of law. You've only gotta look on eBay for FAKE "ANYTHING" which is rampany in Hong Kong and the likes. You cant ever stop this kinda thing. Seems to be the world we live in. Its human nature and instinct that we try and make things better and cheaper than everybody else, on the back of other peoples hard work. Most of the time they successfully copy but turn out crap.

LOW BOOST

You could underwrite a " Conditions of Sale" Contract which will be your Terms for supplying the goods to the purchaser and will stand up in a court of Law. Problem is, how do you prove that someone has copied you. Also what are they copying.... a few lengths of steel and plate, and panels lifted off FERRARI.............You wouldnt get far. Also if made public and Ferrari got wind, you may have been kicking your self in the foot. Im afraid as harsh as it seem, there usually nothing that can be done.

OZZY360, I build cobras and I have noticed how some of the Cobra replica owners have things to say about copying Ferrari or Lambo but think it is OK to own and copy the Cobra. Is that your stance? I had one say well a real Cobra is unobtainable, and my reply was: "And there is a Ferrari 250GTO on every used car lot I suppose." Just cusrious of your thoughts. I don't know if it right or wrong, I have changed the focus of my business to original designs or modified enough to be original.

i seem to sound that way dont I.. But this is not the case. I bought my kit many years ago and this was my only option at that time. I would love the actual thing having a steel body and all that, but thats wats dreams are for, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY360
    I would love the actual thing having a steel body and all that, but thats wats dreams are for, I guess.
    Thats what replicas are for.. Thankfully we can drive our dreams.. ;D Even though its like a foggy, distant dream and it is not "exactly" the car we dream of.. :-\

couldnt you say that there are billions of poeple in this world...dont you think at least 2 of them would of thought of the same design for a car and probably would have named it sorta the same?!?! hmmMMM???? i just think that Ferrari shouldnt send out those cease and desist letters. ???
    -If you build it...they will buy.-