Thread: 308 kit question

308 kit question

Hi,

Is it common on 308 kits to have the front and rear clips molded as single pieces. e.i. fenders molded to the bumpers?

I am assuming there is no way to identify the maker of a 308 kit.

Thanks

Re: 308 kit question

Most of the 308 / 328 Kits are molded with the front clips in 1 piece similar to an original 308. It's funny, but that is one aspect that never gets mentioned by anyone that looks at my car (or the other 308 I had).

Real 308's are 1 piece but the front portion by the front bumper is "thinner" than most replicas other than the Stinger Replica which is pretty accurate.

Many people never even make a comment about it.

Trying to determine the maker of the kits can be difficult and often impossible but sometimes little variations in the kits can be pointed out by fellow owners such as grilles, headlight covers etc.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

My front and rear are also molded in one piece.
    My kit was from Canada, and something funny I noted on mine and a few others I have seen pictures of, The rear deck lid sits higher on the left side than the right side. I re positioned the body and deck many times and could never get the 'twist' out of it. I think it is common with this manufacture.

Hi
    My car is a one piece front and one piece back
    Pretty sure my car is a UK built 1992 SPM 286 who were later taken over by Lakeside in June 1994 to become Lakeside SPM , only thing that gives me doubts is all the SPM cars I have seen are in the solid roof GTB form and mine is a Targa roof GTS, but yep def 1 piece front and back !
    A strange feature of my kit is that the recesses under the corners of the rear bumpers are not the same size with the drivers side being slightly larger (left hand drive)
    Daz

Dazzermania,

I've seen a few 308 / 328 cars with a targa top. Do you hav any pics of yours??

Is the car reinforced when the kit is built?? I would imagine is has to be.

I have a solid roof GTB (same as my last 308). I'm partial to the solid roof myself but I've always toyed with making a targa top for mine.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Also, Where do you source things like the tail lamps, marker lights from? Are there other cars with parts that would work?

Hi NoFiero,

Welcome to 308 replica ownership. ;D

When sourcing OEM taillamps (with the clear reverse lights in the center of the amber lamps) you can usually find some on ebay. The set of four (4) go for around $900

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TAIL-...QQcmdZViewItem

There is a group of forum members that are trying to replicate these, and I think they're pretty close to turning out a final product. Do a forum search under "Wanted: Amber turn signal lights" and you can read the thread.

You can also find the "directional" or side marker lights from two different forum members:

koenigtr - is sellling a set of two (2) amber and two (2) red
    EVM_Rob - is selling OEM cast replicas

Other good sources for 308 parts that I have used are:

T Rutlands in Georgia
    Specialized Italian Recyclers
    Italian Car parts

Remember though...these are Ferrari parts dealers, and you may not want to disclose that you are buying parts for your "replica"

Bottom line is that there are several great sources right here on this forum. Many members have fabricated what they could not find...or what they could not find "affordable". The talents of many forum members continue to amaze me (i.e. Amida's 355 dash, instrument panel lights and F-40 switches, Riceburner's 355 HVAC controls, Mr. Ferrari's wing windows and FunnyWheel's entire F355 Syder to name a few), which is the great value of this website. Just do a search and you'll be informed and entertained!

Quote Originally Posted by NoFiero
    Hi,

Is it common on 308 kits to have the front and rear clips molded as single pieces. e.i. fenders molded to the bumpers?

I am assuming there is no way to identify the maker of a 308 kit.

Thanks

Oh...to answer your original question, the front and rear black bumpers are NOT molded to the front or rear clip on the "Stinger" replicas. I can't speak for the Mera or its clones as I do not own one. Come to think of it...they may not be, because Rodney Dickman sells an accurate Euro-styled bumper that fit Meras.

As far as the side fenders being one piece with the front valance, I believe that it is common with the kits. I've only seen fenders sold seperately from Fibersmith...but I know they also sold the entire front clip as well.

Hi kit4me

The car was a solid roof GTB to start with when it was built by SPM, it was later converted to a GTS with removable roof, the structure has been strengthend underneath with a cross shaped beam running from each corner of the car to the middle, if you send me an email address I will forward pics on

Cheers

Daz