Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do kit car lovers see the world differently... Pontiac Aztec

Do kit car lovers see the world differently... Pontiac Aztec

Hello Everyone,
    Ok I know we kit car guys and gals see cars a bit differently from other folks. We love design and performance all for an economical price both initially and for upkeep (for most of us). Plus some of us love the attention and admiration of having a unique automobile. Due to this I was wondering what your thoughts were on what the general public sees as the "ugliest car of the new generation" the ill fated Pontiac Aztec. Picture here for those who dont know:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tiac-Aztek.jpg

When the Aztec first came out I actually liked this car. It had an optional AWD system, a tent system for camping out of the back as well as an inflatable bed option! Sure it was no off road truck, but it had enough features to make it the swiss army knife of SUVs with features that only came later in other models like rear outlets for TVs or fridges etc. Plus it looked futuristic and didnt blend it with the crowd. Sporty design like a sports car, futuristic like my Sci-fi and practical like a camper. It was all in one for me and even though others sunned it I kind of liked it in a weird kind of way. How do you guys and gals as kit car lovers see the Aztec?

Another thing I noticed today was that from 2001 - 2005 when the Pontiac Aztec was produced it just didnt sell. However looking around at as early as 2006 such cars as the Honda Element as well as SCION XB who some say are just as ugly with its plastic body cladding (element):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...da_Element.jpg

seem to sell very well. Is it because the Aztec was a Pontiac? Or was it because it looked too futuristic? What are your thoughts?

Just curious if us Kit car lovers do see the world a bit differently.

Re: Do kit car lovers see the world differently... Pontiac Aztec

The Aztec was a real ugly mother when it first came out and it had such a reputation for being ugly that when they cleaned it up after a few model years nobody would touch one.. It was a concept crossover that everyone hated the way it looked from the start, but pontiac made it anyway and it was doomed before it even went into production.. The other crossover cars that are in production as we speak may be similar in design as the Aztec, but they do look a whole lot better than the Aztec did..

Just as you say, you can get a great deal on one since they are so undesirable.. So if you kinda like the look and all the utility that it has to offer you can get a great deal on one..

I have heard that the Aztec concept car was a lot better looking than the production model. I can't find a pic of the concept though...

I had a black 2001 - sold it. I see a lot of crossovers taking their cues from the Aztek now.. Cadillac MKX is one example.
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    I have heard that the Aztec concept car was a lot better looking than the production model. I can't find a pic of the concept though...
    I saw the concept at the Minneapolis auto show before they went into production and it looked very odd at the time and not much better than the production version.. I rember everyone at the auto show looking at the Aztec and hating it.. They had it up on a rotating pedistal and had a hot model trying to show it off but it recieved nothing but negative comments from everyone anyway.. The auto magazines did nothing but complain about the look of the Aztec as well.. Needless to say I was suprised that Pontiac went into production with it after all the negative press and with everyone hating it at the auto show.. What was Pontiac thinking since nobody liked the way it looked and it was obviously doomed before it even went into production..

Here is the concept Aztec.. It looks better than the production model shown below, but is still cluttered and wasnt exactly pretty..

Concept..

Concept..

Production..

Quote Originally Posted by derwin
    I had a black 2001 - sold it. I see a lot of crossovers taking their cues from the Aztek now.. Cadillac MKX is one example.
    Uhm.. Thats a Lincoln MKX.. Or Mark 10.. I looked a one at the dealership a few weeks ago and man they are nice.. Basicly a Ford Edge decked out to the max..

MKX...

The Caddy is the SRX.. and looks similar to the Aztec.. But much better..

Bobi1

Actually, its real predecessor was the Pontiac REV Concept:

I caught rental car companies low on inventory and got stuck with an aztec a couple times. argggg. The concept does look much better. More similar in shape to the bmw x3 or the equinox/torrent. I'm getting my girlfriend a black equinox at a dealer auction today. Nice little SUV's w/ a v6.
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

there is no comparison between the asstek and the mkx. Night and day people. the MKX is a really good looking car, and with american brands *trying* to up the classyness of their super-lame interiors, i may have my hands on a nicely depretiated, fully warranteed, blk/blk mkx soon...

On another note...another ugly car would be the Chevy HHR...in addition to the pt cruiser, which for some odd reason actually sold quite well. Neither are my cup of tea plain and simple.

Oxford Automotive, one of my customers who made the body panels for the Aztek thought it was ugly and mentioned it to GM. That guy was fired the next day. Oxford lost a lot of money on this project looking at a 10 year ROI for their plant in Mexico. I thnk they could have done a better job on the exterior and it would have captured the hearts of the people who want to be really non-conformists. The reason Honda made it work as well as Pathfinder (Nissan), Sion (Toyota) and Jeep is the fact those have solid marketing and track records for that type of car. Pontiac makes sports sedans and Fieros. They tried to change who they are. The new Soltice is doing very well because they fit the image.

The PT Cruiser was a nice retro looking car and was cheap. If the transmissions would hold up, they would still lead the market but GM is now in the mix with a "me Too" car that is (in my opinion) another Aztek.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.