Thread: FNG question

FNG question

I've been looking at kit cars for over 20 years now.... never found a nexus of time and cash.

On a recent road trip I found a SS100 on the side of the road with a for sale sign and a phone number on it.

The body is fiberglass, faded/cracked gelcoat. It appears to be built on a Mustang II frame. (It looks like it was a straight swap... engine compartment was filthy) The body also has some minor crack/ drill holes in it. The chrome is rusted down to the steel in spots and the canvas top has a hole or two. Light hangers are stamped sheet metal (poorly done in my opinion)
    The interior is musty, and to top it off the seller didn't even clear off the wax he used. The only other information I have is that it passed a 2000 Missouri vehicle inspection.

I thought I would talk to people in the know before I even called him.
    I sold a VW based dune buggey in better condition for $600..... this doesn't look like it is worth much more, But then again, I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Any help is appreciated.

Jack

Re: FNG question

First off, I've seen vw based buggy bodies sell for more than $600. Unless you sold it 10 years ago, someone probably got a good deal. He will probably want considerably more than that. I would be surprised if he wanted less than $1500 if it doesn't run, more if it does. I think the old ss100 replicas are cool looking and would love to see one done up hot rod Chip Foose style. They have that chopped look to them. From what you described I would say consider buying something in better shape. It will cost more initially but you will save A LOT of money in the long run. Little things add up. The exception to this is if you can do everything yourself and want to do something custom where you would have to change everything anyway. Good luck. Someone local has one and seems to always have a smile on his face when I see him driving it.
    Good luck,
    Scott

You still have it? I have one.